My goal and strength program

Options
A little background on myself.

I have lifted (on and off) for ten years or so. I lift 4 times a week (2x upper body and 2x lower body). If I had to, I would consider myself to be at an intermediate level. With that said, I am a “plain” lifter. I mainly do the same lifts and adapt them to my goal by adjusting number of reps/sets, rest time and diet. My workouts more or less consist of barbell squats, barbell lunges, leg curls and extensions, bench press, shoulder press, deadlifts, tricep pushdowns, lat pulldown, cable seated row and I'm sure I forgot one or two, but the idea is one lift per muscle group/workout. I like “in and out” workouts. I usually keep them at 40-45 mins long. I prefer it that way and thats what my schedule permits.

Right now I am on a cut, combine that with not being super dedicated the past few years and my strength has suffered. After this cut I am thinking about starting a strength program. Around 5 years ago I tried Stronglifts and that’s the only program I have ever done or know. Based on the information above, please suggest your favorite program.

Or should I just keep doing my own thing? My strategies have worked for the most part, I am just wondering if there is another way to work smarter and be more efficent.

Thank you

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear - you're cutting now, but your main goal from the program is to improve overall strength?
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    she said "AFTER this" referring to after the cut she wants to bulk.

*backs out*
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Sorry that wasn't clear. I am planning on doing my own thing until I finish cutting. Once that is done( maybe June??...) I want to start working on my strength and eat at maintenance. That's when I am looking advice for.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    She wants to move to a strength program after her cut.

I like em2wl strength lifting. I've also heard good things about PHUL, though that may be some hypertrophy. Wendlers 5/3/1?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Do you like 5x5? How long do you think you can maintain a linear progression?

I prefer a DUP style training using different rep/set schemes throughout the week. Power, hypertrophy and strength. I set mine up myself at first but did eventually pay a coach
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options

I have lifted (on and off) for ten years or so. I lift 4 times a week (2x upper body and 2x lower body). If I had to, I would consider myself to be at an intermediate level. With that said, I am a “plain” lifter. I mainly do the same lifts and adapt them to my goal by adjusting number of reps/sets, rest time and diet. My workouts more or less consist of barbell squats, barbell lunges, leg curls and extensions, bench press, shoulder press, deadlifts, tricep pushdowns, lat pulldown, cable seated row and I'm sure I forgot one or two, but the idea is one lift per muscle group/workout. I like “in and out” workouts. I usually keep them at 40-45 mins long. I prefer it that way and thats what my schedule permits.

Right now I am on a cut, combine that with not being super dedicated the past few years and my strength has suffered. After this cut I am thinking about starting a strength program. Around 5 years ago I tried Stronglifts and that’s the only program I have ever done or know. Based on the information above, please suggest your favorite program.

Or should I just keep doing my own thing? My strategies have worked for the most part, I am just wondering if there is another way to work smarter and be more efficent.

Thank you

Cut then hit strong lifts, there's no harm in that, however be prepared to include loads of protein into your diet if you want to stay lean and lower either the fats or carbs. That is if you don't mind a slower progression in terms of strength.

Otherwise it's bulk and cut. (there's a reason power lifters and strongmen aren't lean)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I'm a long-time believer in Wendler's 5/3/1. If I were to do a "boxed" program, I'd probably do this 8/6/3 take on it. I'd probably also do a squat accessory on a non-squat day, a DL accessory on a non-DL day, a bench accessory on a non-bench day, and an OHP accessory on a non-OHP day... just so I could hit each muscle group 2x week.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/8-6-3-for-size-and-strength
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    Pics for evaluation!!!
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    If you're used to that...maybe start up StrongLifts and run it briefly? You could blow through any stall (as in, don't deload just degrade to 3x5)...and then when you stall again go to Madcow? I'm working on a StrongLifts-sort-of program right now and like the format. One of my buddies at work recently ran Madcow twice and said that he saw very good results.

It would be cool if there were a Madcow app like there is a StrongLifts app...but I don't think that there is.

Somebody did make a pretty nice spreadsheet, though...

There's a link to it off of the stronglifts page:
    https://stronglifts.com/madcow-5x5-training-programs/

I'm trying my StrongLifts attempt while trying to lose weight and not following it exactly (trap bar and safety squat bar, and using smaller weight increases). I plan on doing Madcow right now when I'm finished.

Good luck with your next phase however you decide to go! As you mentioned, you've had some good results just doing your own thing so unless you just feel like you want to try something different it's not like you have to necessarily change anything.
  • figureitout87
    figureitout87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing StrongLifts and I love that it's simple and to the point. I would recommend that, and if after a few weeks you find it's not challenging you, move to Madcow.
  • Ironandwine69
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Pics for evaluation!!!

Sorry but what do pics have anything to do with this?
  • Ironandwine69
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Do you like 5x5? How long do you think you can maintain a linear progression?

I prefer a DUP style training using different rep/set schemes throughout the week. Power, hypertrophy and strength. I set mine up myself at first but did eventually pay a coach

That was a very long time ago, but yes I liked the simplecity of it most of all.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Dazzler21 wrote: »

Thank you

Cut then hit strong lifts, there's no harm in that, however be prepared to include loads of protein into your diet if you want to stay lean and lower either the fats or carbs. That is if you don't mind a slower progression in terms of strength.

Otherwise it's bulk and cut. (there's a reason power lifters and strongmen aren't lean)

Except there are actually a lot of lean powerlifters out there...? Jesse Norris is one of the first that comes to mind. I can come up with many more.
    There's also many dual athletes that actually do both bodybuilding AND strength sports.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I like Wendler's 5/3/1, but another program I've done, which I think is awesome is Steve Shaw's Power Muscle Burn. There's a 3, 4, and 5 day split variation depending on what works best for your schedule. https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/4-day-power-muscle-burn-workout-split.html
  • Ironandwine69
    Options

Thank you

I actually keep my protein to either 1gr per lb during cut or 1gr /LBM during non cut periods, so protein might not be an issue.
  • Ironandwine69
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I'm a long-time believer in Wendler's 5/3/1. If I were to do a "boxed" program, I'd probably do this 8/6/3 take on it. I'd probably also do a squat accessory on a non-squat day, a DL accessory on a non-DL day, a bench accessory on a non-bench day, and an OHP accessory on a non-OHP day... just so I could hit each muscle group 2x week.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/8-6-3-for-size-and-strength

I will research this. Thanks
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Thank you

Except there are actually a lot of lean powerlifters out there...? Jesse Norris is one of the first that comes to mind. I can come up with many more.
    There's also many dual athletes that actually do both bodybuilding AND strength sports.

Jesse works out at my gym. He's a BEAST! I'm not sure I'd call him "lean." But he definitely isn't fat.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    If you're going to keep doing your own thing, I highly recommend you pick up "Scientific Principles of Strength Training"

One of the authors also has a video series on Youtube where he talks about what's in the book.
  • TReese408
    TReese408 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a variation of Stronglifts and/or Starting Strength since January on a cut and I've managed to lose on average of 1-2 lbs a week. I was doing one of those 12-week workout programs prior to that and lost 20 lbs from it but I feel physically much better since switching over.

Bottom line is do what you feel comfortable with and works. You definitely need to increase your Protein intake and lower your Carbs and Fat. It's not the same for everyone so you'l have to make adjustments to your macros every 2 weeks or so until you see and feel a difference.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options

Thank you

Jesse works out at my gym. He's a BEAST! I'm not sure I'd call him "lean." But he definitely isn't fat.

That's what I get for thinking I could drop names ;)
    after checking his recent IG posts it looks like he's gotten a little fluffier than I remembered haha. Idk I would still consider him pretty lean, especially by "powerlifter" standards. Suppose it's all relative on what people consider to be "lean" though.