Brazilian Restaurant Buffet Logging??

Options
Hi, my brother wants the entire family to go and eat at a Brazilian Buffet this weekend (name of the restaurant is Chima Brazilian Steakhouse - I think it might be a chain??). I have never eaten there, and I'm not finding much more than descriptions of the food and some pics (food looks delicious by the way). I can't find nutrition info any where. I am going to try to estimate my logging as best I can, but right now, I am trying to get a game plan, so I don't over eat too much. I figured if I did some extra workouts day before, day of, and day after that will help. Anyone ever eaten there? What's good there? How do you handle buffet eating at any buffet restaurant, especially when you don't know what they will have?

Replies

• vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Hi, my brother wants the entire family to go and eat at a Brazilian Buffet this weekend (name of the restaurant is Chima Brazilian Steakhouse - I think it might be a chain??). I have never eaten there, and I'm not finding much more than descriptions of the food and some pics (food looks delicious by the way). I can't find nutrition info any where. I am going to try to estimate my logging as best I can, but right now, I am trying to get a game plan, so I don't over eat too much. I figured if I did some extra workouts day before, day of, and day after that will help. Anyone ever eaten there? What's good there? How do you handle buffet eating at any buffet restaurant, especially when you don't know what they will have?

My husband loves the place. I'm partial to Texas De Brazil, but we don't have one in Charlotte. We only have Chima... so alas...

regardless, I think I looked up rodizo or churrascaria and logged the protein estimates. The salad bar has really good choices, and lots of sides and cheeses. Man.... thinking about it is making me hungry!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Good god I love Texas De Brazil! I could eat the salad bar alone and be completely satisfied! I used to work at a mall that had one. Cute waiters too! For the buffet style restaurants this is what I do. I keep a little notepad with a golf pencil next to my plate and write down what I eat then log the closest as possible to it later. I don't put a limit on my food since the times I go out to places like that are very special occasions, but I don't want to have my phone out while at dinner, since I think it's kind of rude. Don't eat so much that you're going to barf, but don't stress too much. Places like these have amazing food and it's so much fun to sample things! Just eat slowly, take your time, and if you don't finish something, no big deal. Enjoy it!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I fast all day, do something active during the day and then eat to my heart's content.

One "bad"meal doesn't make you fat just like one "good" meal doesn't make you thin.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I fast all day, do something active during the day and then eat to my heart's content.

One "bad"meal doesn't make you fat just like one "good" meal doesn't make you thin.

^^^This

Also you've made me hungry for Rodizio's or Texas De Brazil. Thanks a lot! Lol.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

^^^This

LOL, sorry about that!! :smile:
  • Thinnyminime
    Thinnyminime Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Work out hard and save those calories...then make good choices...there will be fish, try choosing things that are not swimming in sauce...sauce is what gets you! Always remember too that no matter what you eat it will have more salt than food you prepare at home so drink lots of water. I also don't weigh myself the next morning...it's always up because of the salt. One night out doesn't change the game! You're changing your lifestyle right...you can do it!
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Ditto. Eat light the day of ...next to nothing then eat dinner. If you forget then got light for 2-3 days afterwards to balance out.
  • jljshoe1979
    Options

Thought about skipping lunch...
  • jljshoe1979
    Options
    Good god I love Texas De Brazil! I could eat the salad bar alone and be completely satisfied! I used to work at a mall that had one. Cute waiters too! For the buffet style restaurants this is what I do. I keep a little notepad with a golf pencil next to my plate and write down what I eat then log the closest as possible to it later. I don't put a limit on my food since the times I go out to places like that are very special occasions, but I don't want to have my phone out while at dinner, since I think it's kind of rude. Don't eat so much that you're going to barf, but don't stress too much. Places like these have amazing food and it's so much fun to sample things! Just eat slowly, take your time, and if you don't finish something, no big deal. Enjoy it!

I agree with you on the phone. I will try to discretely log things (some family members have made a point to tell me "how easy it is for me" and call me "a health nut")...we are supposed to be having fun, and I don't feel like hearing their snide remarks or giving them a reason to make them.
  • jljshoe1979
    Options

My husband loves the place. I'm partial to Texas De Brazil, but we don't have one in Charlotte. We only have Chima... so alas...

regardless, I think I looked up rodizo or churrascaria and logged the protein estimates. The salad bar has really good choices, and lots of sides and cheeses. Man.... thinking about it is making me hungry!

Okay - that helps!! I didn't try looking up "rodizo" (truth is I thought it was a cooking technique and wouldn't have calorie estimates). I'm really looking forward to this. I like trying new things (especially when it comes to food).
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    They have EVERYTHING!!!! Just enjoy Yourself.
  • jljshoe1979
    Options
    Work out hard and save those calories...then make good choices...there will be fish, try choosing things that are not swimming in sauce...sauce is what gets you! Always remember too that no matter what you eat it will have more salt than food you prepare at home so drink lots of water. I also don't weigh myself the next morning...it's always up because of the salt. One night out doesn't change the game! You're changing your lifestyle right...you can do it!

This is true. I love water - it's my favorite blessing that most people in developed countries take for granted!!! I work off the 80/20% rule (I try to be very good 80% of the time, and enjoy the other 20 without guilt). I just know me though, and if I don't have a plan I will eat and eat and eat (especially if it taste good).
  • jljshoe1979
    Options
    Ditto. Eat light the day of ...next to nothing then eat dinner. If you forget then got light for 2-3 days afterwards to balance out.

Okay - good plan! :smile:
  • jljshoe1979
    Options
    They have EVERYTHING!!!! Just enjoy Yourself.

Anything you specifically enjoy? I am trying to narrow down some of the options...
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

That's what I also do. In the food database look for "Fogo de chau-Incredible!!!" someone has made the entry for the Fogo de Chao buffet 2500 calories.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options

^^^This

Haha it's okay! I do log everything though. No guilt in my opinion doesn't mean no logging. I like to look at tracking as a weekly exercise. To me this means I shoot for my macro targets daily but shoot for my calorie targets weekly. A buffet might push me over for the day and that doesn't worry me, but I do want to have some estimation of what I consumed. I usually just make a quick note in my phone or on a small pad then actually input into MFP after the meal is over. There are so many variables you might need to consider when tracking to try to find something as accurate as possible so I think it's kind of rude to do during the meal. You might be surprised how easy it is to have a quite healthy and balanced meal at a buffet. You can ask the carvers (assuming your Brazilian place is like the ones I mentioned) for a leaner cut and they might even know the leanness of the meat (example: 10% fat, etc) but most of all enjoy the meal and the company!
  • jljshoe1979
    Options

^^^This

Haha it's okay! I do log everything though. No guilt in my opinion doesn't mean no logging. I like to look at tracking as a weekly exercise. To me this means I shoot for my macro targets daily but shoot for my calorie targets weekly. A buffet might push me over for the day and that doesn't worry me, but I do want to have some estimation of what I consumed. I usually just make a quick note in my phone or on a small pad then actually input into MFP after the meal is over. There are so many variables you might need to consider when tracking to try to find something as accurate as possible so I think it's kind of rude to do during the meal. You might be surprised how easy it is to have a quite healthy and balanced meal at a buffet. You can ask the carvers (assuming your Brazilian place is like the ones I mentioned) for a leaner cut and they might even know the leanness of the meat (example: 10% fat, etc) but most of all enjoy the meal and the company!

Yeah, I recently took a month off to just maintain my weight (had a lot of personal things happen at that time too), but I kept logging...I'm sort of an all or nothing person. If I miss logging in one day, well that leads to two and so forth and so on...I'm think I'm going to try to focus on proteins with a dry rub on them (no sauces per an earlier posters suggestions or only trying a bite) and check out that salad bar that someone else commented on...I heard their desserts were good (I would like to sample everything, but that's where logging is going to be tough because one bite here and there can add up). I'm not too stressed about going over because I'll just work it off or eat less the days around it. I just want to get it all logged in correctly, that's my dilemma. Everything everyone's posted so far has been very helpful!!