can you use cream of tartar to help stiffen a whole egg?

Options
Geocitiesuser
Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
I tried googling this, but there doesn't seem to be a clear answer. I know I can just "try it and find out" but I'm not in a kitchen until tomorrow and the question is burning me.

So here's the issue I'm running into: Protein (whey/casein/whatever) powder and an egg with baking powder will "fluff up" during cooking, but is generally not strong enough to hold form, so as it cools it mushes back into a pancake-like shape.

I was thinking if I stiffed the eggs (or whites) and folded them into the batter, it might help hold the structure better.

I mean, sure I can separate the yolk, whip the white, and then reincorporate, but is that necessary? Can I just whip the whole egg?

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Much thanks!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I've made protein "bread" that stays up by whisking the whites separately and folding it in to the rest of the mix, which I include the egg yolks in... But, separation is necessary...
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    whites cooked as in a meringue need a long slow cook. don't know if that would help.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You can try using xanthan or guar gums. They are used in gluten free baking to help replace the gluten that normally gives baked goods their structure. Or just use flour.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I was thinking if I stiffed the eggs (or whites) and folded them into the batter, it might help hold the structure better.

I mean, sure I can separate the yolk, whip the white, and then reincorporate, but is that necessary? Can I just whip the whole egg?

Nope - whipping the yolk into the whites introduces fat to the process and the fat will break the protein strands in the whites preventing them from becoming stiff.

I don't know what the cream of tartar would do, but I suspect that if you include the yolk, you will get the same results.

Cream of tartar is used for egg whites (it's a protein thing) - it helps prevent over beating. Beaten egg whites (without an acid like cream of tartar) can turn lumpy when you beat them too long.

Sponge cake (not sure if this helps you) contains whole eggs. It stays fluffy because the egg whites and egg yolks are beaten separately. To beat the yolks takes quite awhile (like 5 minutes) you want them thick & lemon colored. Then fold them lightly into your batter. With cake the yolks are typically beaten with sugar.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

Nope - whipping the yolk into the whites introduces fat to the process and the fat will break the protein strands in the whites preventing them from becoming stiff.

I don't know what the cream of tartar would do, but I suspect that if you include the yolk, you will get the same results.

Yes. That's my experience too. I sometimes make angelfood cakes (Mrs Jruzer's favorite), and need to be vigilant to keep all of the yolk out. Even a bit of yolk can ruin 12 egg whites.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »

Yes. That's my experience too. I sometimes make angelfood cakes (Mrs Jruzer's favorite), and need to be vigilant to keep all of the yolk out. Even a bit of yolk can ruin 12 egg whites.

Its the reason why gods invented egg whites in a carton. Whip those and then add the yolks from whole eggs. Save those whites for another recipe. They freeze very well :)

It says on the carton that you can't whip them - can you? That would save me a metric love-ton of work.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Agreed it has to be whites only (not the yolk). You can try a little lemon juice to make it stiffen up a bit. I always just use lemon juice instead of cream of tartar. I'm not sure how it will work once you whip protein powder into it. I definitely have whipped the ones from a carton too. Just find I have to work a bit faster to get them in the oven.

What are you making? I make little meringue cookies using egg white, sugar, and lemon juice (with a tad of vanilla). I put blobs on a pan with parchment paper and bake at ~250F for like 2 hours and they get crispy/hold their shape.
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late here, but I saw this recipe and thought it was pretty cool for anyone trying to mix cream of tartar and eggs.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alixtraeger/cloud-bread?utm_term=.tq90Jj7Vr#.fdGWrYdjA
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Depends on the egg white. the Pasteurized cartons of egg whites have trouble holding shape. You can buy cartons of unpasteurized egg whites as well, usually the organic ones with a fast expiration date. Those should work fine.

But anything from egg beaters will have mediocre results for holding shape. They get foamy, but don't really get peaks the way you'd expect them too.
  • Geocitiesuser
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Egg beater egg whites are pastaurized and do not hold form well as well. You should buy a different brand for whipping. Particularly unpasteurized
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    This.

cracked-naturegg-eggwhites-500px.png

Thats not egg beaters brand lol
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    This.

cracked-naturegg-eggwhites-500px.png

Thats not egg beaters brand lol

Thats what we have in Canada this is what I use lol

Those look to be "good" for whipping. I didn't realize you didn't know what egg beaters are. Egg beaters is a specific name brand in the US that makes all types of egg products. But because they are a 'big box' brand they pasteurize all of their egg products just like most companies do with milk. That means you can drink egg beaters raw right out of the carton, but they don't whip very well. I think it even says on the package they're not good for meringue. More other companies, especially non gmo and organic carton egg whites are usually fine because they're not pasteurized.

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Fast facts and tips about egg beaters
    * Egg Beaters cannot be whipped like regular egg whites. Consequently, Egg Beaters is not suitable for recipes in which eggs are separated and the egg white is whipped for uses such as meringues and souffles.

I've tried. It 'almost sorta' works but doesn't really progress past foam. Other brands are fine if they're not pasteurized.
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Well I scrolled past this quick 1 use real eggs or w.r they said above and 2 yes cream of tartar will help stabilize egg foam (egg whites)
  • janderson1209
    janderson1209 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also lemon juice or ACV apple cider vinegar will work in place of cream of tarter