Breakfast... with coffee - weight gain, I've posted before but I'm sure it stimulates my appetite!

Options
It's bizarre, I am actually one of those people that is hungry first thing and I have lots of coffee.

recently I have gained weight again and have a massive appetite, the only difference is I have work stress and I'm eating breakfast and drinking more coffee...

I reflect back to periods of weight loss and I had nada until lunch. I guess it's a case of different strokes for different folks?

By the way I am aware there is no magic pill for weight loss, and I know not having breakfast must mean overall deficit, but I'm talking about the actual affect on appetite..

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Is your coffee just plain coffee with nothing added?
  • surreychic
    surreychic Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Coffee with skimmed milk GaleH
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Well that would not be much of a calorie source of any weight gain. I know some people who never eat breakfast but I do. Full coffee makes me sleepy for some reason however. Maybe it is an age thing. :)

Yes we can be different from others so in the end the way of eating that works best for us seems to be the route to go.
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should look into intermittently fasting. Not eating until lunch is a pretty common IF practice I think.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily assume that coffee is the culprit. If you are experiencing higher levels of stress, and eating in the morning, I would say those are the main factors, not the coffee. That said, we are all different so maybe the coffee is contributing-- hard to say for sure.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    surreychic wrote: »
    It's bizarre, I am actually one of those people that is hungry first thing and I have lots of coffee.

recently I have gained weight again and have a massive appetite, the only difference is I have work stress and I'm eating breakfast and drinking more coffee...

I reflect back to periods of weight loss and I had nada until lunch. I guess it's a case of different strokes for different folks?

By the way I am aware there is no magic pill for weight loss, and I know not having breakfast must mean overall deficit, but I'm talking about the actual affect on appetite..

If I eat breakfast in the morning, it ends up making me eat more all day long. It pretty much starts up my stomach for the day and then it whines nonstop. ;) That whole "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" advertisement has almost become gospel across the world, to the point that everyone believes it's science--but for some people (like me!), eating breakfast just isn't a good thing!

Yep, same here!
  • surreychic
    Options
    Well that would not be much of a calorie source of any weight gain. I know some people who never eat breakfast but I do. Full coffee makes me sleepy for some reason however. Maybe it is an age thing. :)

Yes we can be different from others so in the end the way of eating that works best for us seems to be the route to go.

You see I'm wondering if coffee is making me more sleepy, it never used to, but I feel a slump an hour afterwards- maybe I'm just weird!
  • surreychic
    Options

If I eat breakfast in the morning, it ends up making me eat more all day long. It pretty much starts up my stomach for the day and then it whines nonstop. ;) That whole "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" advertisement has almost become gospel across the world, to the point that everyone believes it's science--but for some people (like me!), eating breakfast just isn't a good thing!

Ah that's so interesting thank you for sharing! I really wonder if it's the way to go for me...
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have to eat breakfast or I go overboard at lunchtime. Yes i guess it is different strokes for different folks. Years and years ago I would skip breakfast only to find myself eating a bag of Capps hot fries and a 20 oz coke around 10:30. I just couldn't do it anymore.
  • surreychic
    Options
    Maybe you should look into intermittently fasting. Not eating until lunch is a pretty common IF practice I think.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily assume that coffee is the culprit. If you are experiencing higher levels of stress, and eating in the morning, I would say those are the main factors, not the coffee. That said, we are all different so maybe the coffee is contributing-- hard to say for sure.

Yes it's tricky, I appreciate my appetite and weak will is also to blame :-) but I have definitely noticed weight loss in periods whereby I have gone without (but maybe other variables..)
  • surreychic
    Options
    ksz1104 wrote: »
    I have to eat breakfast or I go overboard at lunchtime. Yes i guess it is different strokes for different folks. Years and years ago I would skip breakfast only to find myself eating a bag of Capps hot fries and a 20 oz coke around 10:30. I just couldn't do it anymore.

This is also interesting because I was overweight as a teenager (for a short period) and I used to skip breakfast... however there was a large McDonalds milkshake (yuk is all I can think now) around 10.30am I seem to remember so that can't have helped.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I don't eat "breakfast" until about 9:30, although I'm up at 5:00. I wouldn't make it until lunch. I pack/plan my breakfast, lunch and snack to have a work.

But if I eat when I get up, I'm still as hungry at 9:30 as I would be without eating. So, I cut out eating when I get up.
  • surreychic
    Options
    Quiksysylver that's exactly what I was thinking today, it doesn't matter whether I eat early (like you I'm up very early not quite 05.00 though, respect) or not, I am still hungry and sluggish by mid am.

I just generally notice my craving for food (rather than hunger) is more stimulated by breakfast but maybe that's because I love food and get a bit of a kick out of eating, and when I get my food fix I'm a greedy thing and want more...
  • Etsar73
    Etsar73 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You can add me to the 'breakfast makes me so hungry all day' camp. I just don't eat it! Only thing l have is coffee. Milk and no sugar. I feel coffee is great for when l do feel a little hungry. I eat at 11am and the calories saved means l can have bigger meals later especially dinner.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't eat "breakfast" until about 9:30, although I'm up at 5:00. I wouldn't make it until lunch. I pack/plan my breakfast, lunch and snack to have a work.

But if I eat when I get up, I'm still as hungry at 9:30 as I would be without eating. So, I cut out eating when I get up.

my experience is similar. and she already typed it all out for me :)
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

You see I'm wondering if coffee is making me more sleepy, it never used to, but I feel a slump an hour afterwards- maybe I'm just weird!

https://thenakedscientists.com/articles/questions/why-does-coffee-make-me-sleepy

I find this reason appeals to my science side. I know it is not a dehydration factor in my case.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Well then...don't do this!

All the science in the world (and I say this as a science and studies nut) won't change something that is consistent for you.

If something isn't working, throw it out. If something is working, keep it.

• surreychic
    Options

https://thenakedscientists.com/articles/questions/why-does-coffee-make-me-sleepy

I find this reason appeals to my science side. I know it is not a dehydration factor in my case.

Interesting, it's definitely not dehydration in my case! I think I get the slump an hour after, by four hours I'm am getting very, very sleepy. I didn't used to be like this, did you find it was an age thing too GaleHawkins
  • surreychic
    Options

my experience is similar. and she already typed it all out for me :)

4 legs, do you eat brekkie then? just mid- am?

It's such a shame with something there aren't a cut and fast rule, I try and do what I'm told and it doesn't work for me!