share your tastiest low-cost filling meals here!

Options
tequila09
tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
Hello!! Im trying to trim our monthly food budget, we spend about 100-125 a week on groceries buying lean meats and lots of fruits, veggies, almond milk, yogurt, oatmeal, nuts, etc.

Please share your cheapest and tastiest meals!

Ill go first!

Lentil and Black Bean Soup - Crockpot

1 bag of lentils of your choice about 3.5 cups
4.7 cups of black beans (im using measurements from my last recipe creation here on mfp)
345 grams of tomatoes
1.5 medium onions
5 cloves of garlic
1 anaheim pepper
1 Jalapeno

1. In a blender put onions, tomatoes, garlic, and both peppers and blend until there are no chunks.
2. Put lentils and black beans in a crock pot and pour in contents of blender
3. If you still need more liquid add some water or chicken/vegetable broth
3. Mix it up in the pot then cover and cook on high or on low

Cook time is about 3-4ish hours on high or 6-8 hours on low

4. Season to taste, I use ground cumin, chili powder and cayenne pepper because I like it spicy!

I usually cook it when im home on high so I can check on it. It's ready once the beans and lentils are softened enough to your liking!
I also like to throw some bell peppers in the veggie blender mix when I have them on hand.

The nutrition info from those measurements above are 20 calories, 5 carbs, 0 fat, 2 protein, 1 sodium, 1 fiber per OUNCE. It is a bit of a hassle but I make sure to weigh the whole batch and make each serving an ounce so I know what im consuming.

Once its ready and seasoned to your liking you can eat it as a soup or my favorite way is to get rid of the liquid and eat it like a chili. If we have ground turkey I throw it in my chili like food.

Delicious!!

Replies

• sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I cook frozen spinach (2 Cups). It becomes the bed for 2.5 oz of thin spaghetti noodles. On top of that I sprinkle 1 T. of bacon pieces and 2 T of Parmesan. Terrific satisfying meal. That would be one serving. Increase as needed for your family.

In our household we eat almost no meat. When we do, it's more of a condiment...
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I cook frozen spinach (2 Cups). It becomes the bed for 2.5 oz of thin spaghetti noodles. On top of that I sprinkle 1 T. of bacon pieces and 2 T of Parmesan. Terrific satisfying meal. That would be one serving. Increase as needed for your family.

In our household we eat almost no meat. When we do, it's more of a condiment...

Yum that sounds delicious!! I will try it thanks!