Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Give them a food complex or teach them a value of a calorie?

Options
inertiastrength
inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
edited May 2017 in Debate Club
So on weekends my kids have a "budget" of 150 calories; they can pick whatever they want from our treat cupboard. I don't know how many calories they eat, but I thought it would be a good idea to show them that a) things have calories and b) depending on what you pick you could get more or less etc. Yay or nay? They're 7 & 8

tr9s0wg32wfb.jpg

Replies

• FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    If they eat normally the rest of the time, I doubt it would harm them to have a calorie budget for a weekend snack.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Why would teaching them about a calorie budget (and not just for weekend treats, but for everything) be any more damaging than teaching them about money?
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea to teach kids about food value and choices. I guess I'd just be careful to not think of it as a reward to go to the snack cupboard. Nutrition is something everyone should learn at an early age!
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Why would teaching them about a calorie budget (and not just for weekend treats, but for everything) be any more damaging than teaching them about money?

Two important topics that are taboo, for some stupid reason. No idea why.

And both are important things for an adult to know how to do.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I struggle with these because I didn't know what a calorie was when I went to college. No joke. I couldn't understand why I was getting so fat. I went to the gym everyday​!!!!

But I'm also glad I wasn't obsessed with calories. Both calories in and calories out.

How to find the middle ground? I personally don't mention calories to my kids yet, but I try to teach eating foods that make you healthy or strong. And let's have a treat- but just 1.

I do plan on doing more of a lesson on nutrition and lifting when they are older.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I think it is a good idea.

What do you think about showing them what calories are? There are some good videos on youtube. I think teaching kids that calories are just a measure of energy, that your body uses energy to survive, that food has energy, and that too much energy causes weight gain, while too little energy causes weight loss is a good physics lesson.
  • princess0lexi
    princess0lexi Posts: 3,938 Member
    Options
    i think it is a good idea, it may help them learn about calories and other things that are in what they choose
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I think it's an excellent idea. Perhaps work the relationship of calories and nutrition into the conversation. For example, explain why even though they may need to eat xxxx calories to fuel their activities, it would not be a good idea to eat a big bowl of those M&Ms to do so.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do to successfully manage your weight is what you teach your kids, IMO. So if you maintain your weight by picking out a calorie controlled treat on the weekends absolutely teach them that. If that's not what you do but you think it would be a good idea for them? It's probably not.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do to successfully manage your weight is what you teach your kids, IMO. So if you maintain your weight by picking out a calorie controlled treat on the weekends absolutely teach them that. If that's not what you do but you think it would be a good idea for them? It's probably not.

I do it a little more often because I track my macros daily. Since I don't really KNOW if my kids can afford to do this daily, nor am I about to start logging their macros lol, I'm going to stick to weekends. I agree with you!
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I wish I had learned CICO when I was a kid. I spent a lot of years eating good, healthy food while fit and plenty active but frustrated that I could not get my weight under control because I was simply eating too much. Based on my experience, I think you're doing your kids a humongous favour.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of letting people parent their kids how they want. I may not agree, but it ain't my business. For my kid, 12yo boy, we talk about a balanced diet, we talk about about what macro nutrients are, we talk about goals and how you eat to fuel to succeed. We don't talk about calories in that context. I don't have a problem with the OP's method, but I would never do it. We don't demonize food, we don't treat food as rewards nor punishment. It's food, fuel. It is my belief, and I may be totally alone in it, that if I teach my son that he needs proper protein and why, he needs proper fats, what they are and why, that carbs aren't evil, how they work and too many will crowd out others, he will be fine. He is also a smart kid, if I lay it out, he will pick it up.

All of this for me. This method would not work for my family.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I think the idea of
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Looks like a good plan. Depending on their level of understanding you could do the actual calories as you suggest or you could have 3 or 4 "buckets" or categories. Each item in a bucket would be a certain number of points. They could have x number of points in total which would be about 150 calories. Similar to the WW model.

Learning budgeting is a life skill, be it food or money.

This sounds like a fun way to introduce them to it, without putting calories exactly out yet. Then they may get excited when they find out they can have like 2 of their favorite kind of apple rather than 1/4 of a chocolate bar. I'm in college and I still weigh my choices kinda like that. Do I want 1 small churro or 3 small granny smith apples? I'd rather have the apples because they're more filling and still sweet! Plus I get three, and I can space out when I eat them so I feel like i'm getting more.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    It seems ok to me. I understand why you asked the question though. For example being around low-fat-obsessed coaches as a middle schooler gave me that low fat complex at a young age. Calories are great, but kids shouldn't have to worry about them. Are they having fun with it? Do they seem "off" about any part of the process? It could be a fun game they will learn from.