Replies

• yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    yoherbs421 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    yoherbs421 wrote: »
    I know someone who complains they arent losing weight even though they eat one meal a day. Then he tells me he ate a whole tub of ice cream for dinner lmao. I tried explaining insulin spikes and weight gain. He didnt believe me. Now the physician tells him hes pre-diabetic. One meal a day would be okay if it was a regular sized meal, small enough to not cause a large spike. I would take cinnamon with the one meal, cinnamon delays gastric emptying therefore making you feel satiated longer, while keeping your insulin down. Yep, cinnamon.

The whole insulin hypothesis is not really panning out. There are already several studies to support that insulin doesn't cause weight gain.. In the end, energy balance (CICO) determines your weight. The whole purpose of insulin is to activate cells to take in nutrients.. so pretty important role. The problem comes in when your cells become resistance to insulin, so your pancreas over produces it.

Sounded like your friend use the OMAD as a binging mechanism which is unfortunately.

Ruiner! Lol. Jk. This is good. I was not aware of energy balance, CICO, and OMAD ... more reading for me!

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/95/4/989

Here is a pretty good start on EE (or CICO).

Cheers!
  • TenderBlender667
    TenderBlender667 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've been eating one, sometimes 2 meals a day for 2 years now. I got used to it and it works for me. Been maintaining my weight for 3 years
  • sblackwell509
    sblackwell509 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would stop trying to "diet" and start starting a life style change.
    One meal a deal is not healthy. You will lose weight, but you will gain it all back very quickly as soon as you slip up (which you will because one meal a day is not realistic)
    Try eating 6 times a day, very small meals/snacks.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    One meal a deal is not healthy. You will lose weight, but you will gain it all back very quickly as soon as you slip up (which you will because one meal a day is not realistic)

not true ,many people here do OMAD(one meal a day) its not unhealthy(unless severely undereating) and you dont have to eat 6 times a day. meal timing has nothing to do with weight loss. all that matters is getting your calories in and for some they can do that in once meal a day. others like me can do it with 2 meals and 2 snacks.
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I snack (healthy mostly) throughout the day. The only big meal I have is dinner when I cook for my daughter and I. Then it's back to snacking and tracking!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I think that eating one meal a day, or within a smaller window (ie fasting 16 hours, eating in 8; fasting 18 hours eating in 6) can be effective for weight loss or maintenance (I don't know about bulking, I'm not experienced with that). The calories from that one meal, or from that window of time for eating, have to meet your caloric needs for your goals. And it's important to not just get the calories, but also the proper macronutrient balance and all your micronutrients. An individual who has taken the time to learn what is needed and plan appropriately can do well.

It wouldn't work for me, though. First, I prefer to enjoy food throughout the day. I also find it easier to get a well balanced diet if I'm eating for more of the day; I don't have to try to get everything in one meal. I have blood sugar issues as well, specifically hypoglycemia. I've tried fasting before and it doesn't work.

I think the key is finding what works for you. If you like intermittent fasting and it helps you meet/stay within your nutrient goals it's fine. If you prefer to eat 6 small meals a day and it helps you meet/stay within your nutrient goals, that's fine. Any other way of eating that helps you meet/stay within your nutrient goals is fine, too. :smile:
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

That's not true at all. While I don't eat one meal a day, I eat within a very small window of time and have been doing so for the past year or so and find the discipline of doing that to be part of what keeps my appetite under control.

For all intents and purposes, I do eat once a day, just over a long period of time, as what I eat is almost structured as appetizer/main dish/palate cleanser/dessert/evening snack.
  • Jamie23049
    Jamie23049 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1 meal a day since I was about 12 years old and Im fine
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I only eat one meal a day.

Everyday, it starts around 7 AM and lasts until about 11 PM.