Initial water weight loss vs. real weight loss?

Options
My question is, how many days/weeks does it take to lose water weight?

I started a deficit on May 1st and today (May 6th) I'm down 6 pounds. My deficit is only -500 calories, so I know it's water weight. I am not on a low carb/Keto/Atkins type plan (as I've heard those diets have much bigger water weight losses initially).

I'd like to begin comparing my FitBit 'Calories Burned' to my intake to see how the numbers add up, but I need to know when my 'Real' weight loss will begin.

I appreciate your input and advice!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    It has already started, you are in a deficit! Congrats!
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i think u just enjoy what ur body and ur hard work is giving u n forget abt water weight or real weight. if ur body wants to get rid of it after u r taking care of it by eating healthy n exercising n tracking ur calories, then it must be UNWANTED WEIGHT :) keep doing what u r doing n enjoy the new u!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Probably around week 2. You can expect about 1lb/week loss with a 500 calorie daily deficit. Doesnt hurt to start comparing numbers now though, just realize it will take a few weeks for your body to settle into the pattern you can expect to maintain longer term. (which it sounds like you already do, but I dont think there is an exact number anyone can provide for you)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    My question is, how many days/weeks does it take to lose water weight?

I started a deficit on May 1st and today (May 6th) I'm down 6 pounds. My deficit is only -500 calories, so I know it's water weight. I am not on a low carb/Keto/Atkins type plan (as I've heard those diets have much bigger water weight losses initially).

I'd like to begin comparing my FitBit 'Calories Burned' to my intake to see how the numbers add up, but I need to know when my 'Real' weight loss will begin.

I appreciate your input and advice!

I don't use a FitBit, but I've done the comparison (on multiple occasions, about a year apart) of what my results say me NEAT is to MFP's calculation of my MFP, so I understand your desire for this information.

My advice would be to wait about six weeks, if you're male or a post-menopausal femal, and 10 weeks, if you're female with monthly hormonal effects. Discard the first two weeks of data (so treat the beginning of the third week as your "start" weight and date), and do a four-week or eight-week (premenopausal female) comparison. This will let you be reasonably confident that initial water-loss is not affecting the data and that ongoing short-term fluctuations in water and food waste are also not skewing data the way it might if you only looked at a week or two.

However, if you're seriously obese to start out and/or suffering from serious water retention issues, to the point that a doctor has put you on diuretics, it's going to be harder to feel confident that water loss isn't continuing to affect your results. If that's your situation, and you're continuing to lose amounts in excess of what seems remotely reasonable from your calculate calorie deficit after the first couple of weeks, it's probably still water loss, although at some point you might want to consider whether you're creating a larger deficit than you realize and check with your doctor to see if the rapid weight loss is a health concern.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Great input everyone, thank you!