Is this normal??

Options
So For the past 4 days I've been loosing one pound every day. So for 4 days I've lost 4 pounds in one week. My diet hasn't really changed. It wasn't bad to begin with. I did like 2 hiit workouts couple days but I only did 15 minute of them for 2 days. Soo I'm not sure if that jump started this much weight lose in that amount of time. I'm also obese. Soo has this ever happend to anyone else? I'm not complaining I mean it's a loss but I'm just not sure if it's normal to loose that fast.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Did you start watching intake 4 days ago? That would be normal. Keep going! You've got this.
  • seantnash
    seantnash Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest I was 484 pounds. In my first week I lost 14 pounds. That's 2 pounds a day. But the rate soon slowed down and "normalised". My rate of weight loss is still above normal in terms of pounds but in terms of % it's around 1% a week which is what it should be.
  • irxproductions
    irxproductions Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When I started my weight loss, it happened pretty fast (definitely a pound a day). For me, I had already been exercising 7 days a week for years, so it was the calorie moderation that made the big difference. I had been eating as much as twice as many calories as I should! Getting my calorie consumption under control really jump-started my weight loss.

Keep up the great work! You're doing fine!
  • Nixi3Knox
    Nixi3Knox Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If you haven't really changed anything then maybe see a doctor to rule out diabetes. Rapid and unintentional weight loss is a symptom of that, also other illnesses. If you have made an increase in physical activity and/or a decrease in your caloric intake then it is normal. However this rapid loss will eventually level off and you will lose at a slower rate.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Considering the short period of time it is probably just water weight added into expected weight loss.

If you are obese and just started exercising and logging, it's pretty normal to lose alot in the first couple of weeks. If it goes on past that, double check your logging and make sure you are eating enough. If you are eating enough and still losing weight at an unexplainable rate after 2-3 weeks, I would see a doctor just to be safe.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Four pounds in four days is almost certainly water. The amount of water our bodies retain from day to day varies immensely. Yesterday I had beer and pizza at a friend's house, and even though I went at most 300 calories over maintenance, I was up 2 pounds on the scale due to the extra food solids and retained water. I know that I'll lose them over the next few days, as I return to my normal, lower-sodium diet.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,977 Member
    Options
    Did you just start weighing yourself regularly? Four pounds, if you're obese, is probably within your normal weight fluctuations, and if you haven't been weighing yourself on a daily basis in the past, you might not be aware of that.

Also, if you started watching your food intake and logging just four days ago, just being conscious of what you're eating can lead you to eat less, even if you don't think you are (you can't really do an accurate comparison because you wren't logging before). Most people, especially those who are overweight, underestimate how much they are eating. So even if you think you are eating what you used to eat now that you are logging, the chances are that what you think you used to eat is less than what you actually used to eat, if that makes sense.

Short answer -- it's perfectly normal to lose that fast when you first start making adjustments, especially if you're obese.
  • EternalSnow627_
    EternalSnow627_ Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Did you just start weighing yourself regularly? Four pounds, if you're obese, is probably within your normal weight fluctuations, and if you haven't been weighing yourself on a daily basis in the past, you might not be aware of that.

Nah I've been weighting myself everyday for the past week and before that. Only thing I did different this week in some foods is I didn't eat any frozen type meals and added more vegetable in too and I always use to eat frozen processed stuff.So maybe that could be it too. So I guess I did adjust alittle stuff in my diet. Prob a few things then

• Mistywolf3000
    Mistywolf3000 Posts: 18 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    It's a LOT of water weight you're losing. Also, it depends on how obese we're talking about (250lbs and 5'6 or 550lbs). The more you weigh the more fluctuations you may see. I saw similar results when I wasn't drinking enough after cardio. However, even for an averagely obese person (200-300lbs) the healthiest amount of weight per WEEK you should be losing is 2lbs max. About an hour before working out, drink 2-3 glasses of water. And after you workout drink at least 1 glass of water. This should help with fatigue and dehydration.