Anyone with lactose intolerance?

Options
Hi,

Unfortunately, I cannot eat any dairy at all. So far, I replaced cow milk with soya and almond milk. I cannot eat butter, cheese or yoghurt. I feel very limited as I am unable to eat foods that I used to enjoy.

Any tips for substitutes?

Replies

• FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant, although not completely. I still eat cheese, although not as much. I can't do yogurt very well. I don't bother with milk replacements much. If there is something I really want (like ice cream), I'll take lactase. Even 3 times a day, it ends up cheaper than buying special products.
  • viktorija32
    viktorija32 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    For me, I cannot tolerate it at all so its a big problem. Anyways, I will have to keep away from dairy.
  • riley_kinnett
    riley_kinnett Posts: 60 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    For ice cream, try Arctic Zero brownie blast flavor. It's dairy free and honestly pretty good. It's got dark chocolate chips in it too. All of their ice cream is dairy free so you could try it.
  • viktorija32
    viktorija32 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip!
  • bendis2007
    bendis2007 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I can't have dairy anymore for health reasons either - it's been a big shift for sure! I've found that vegan websites like "Oh she glows" has helped me immensely to come up with alternative recipes. I roast a big pan of veggies every week - brussel sprouts, potatoes, sweet potatoes, peppers, and mushrooms - and then I'll eat that throughout the week as a hash with eggs on top, or with cooked chicken or fish.
    I make a home made easy tomato sauce each week as well, so that I can have pasta if I need to ( albeit without the parmesan on top). I make all my own dressings as well, and I delve into more ethnic food recipes like chinese, indian, and middle eastern because it can be easier to find dairy free recipes ( like hummus or falafel).
    I have a chocolate flavored protein shake as well once a day with almond milk and it does taste pretty creamy and delicious. Plus I found that thin mints and oreos are technically dairy free so I have a cookie each night as a treat.

Mostly I found that since I can't have dairy I need to play around a lot more with what I can have - like fruits and vegetables, lean meats and proteins. Example - for cinco de mayo we grilled skirt steak, and made a pico de gallo, pineapple-mango salsa, and guacamole ( no sour cream, no cheese).
    The vegan websites are awesome because they teach you how to make cashew cheese and other substitutes which can help to curb the cravings. Best of luck - it's rough, but I feel so much better, and after awhile the cravings tend to diminish.
  • nicolepburgess91
    nicolepburgess91 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant. I love cheese, tho. So I occasionally just chose to suffer the consequences. But I have found that greek yogurts don't upset my digestion as much.
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm mildly lactose intolerant and find milk, ice cream, and lots of yogurt (greek yogurt not as much) makes my stomach upset. I switched to unsweetend almond milk, rarely get frozen yogurt, and don't eat cheese too often. I know you can't have it all, but I would agree with an above poster to look at vegan recipes for inspiration when you need more creamy elements in your foods.
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    almond milk, silk yogurt or cashew yogurt, vegan cheese, oil instead of butter. I love coconut oil and jam on toast. Sorbet instead of icecream. I would try a health food/natural store near you. I find they have the best substitutes. Also dont go into this thinking "this isnt the same, this doesnt taste like my normal cheese etc". This stuff will never taste just like normal bleu cheese etc. Find the one you like best or something totally new. I used to love cheese and sour cream with my egss...now its avacado and salsa. After a bit you wont crave the old stuff.
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Most Kraft cheese is lactose free. It says 0 Grams lactose per serving on the back in small print. Lactaid ice cream is good and fairlife milk. Silk yogurt.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    i'm lactose intolerant but only milk and yoghurt (everything except greek yoghurt)affect me. Cheese and ice cream are fine. I don't know where you live, but where i live, there's lactose free milk and lactose free yoghurt. Almond milk, coconut milk, oat milk, cashew milk , soya milk are also available. You can make your own ice cream using one of those milks, or frozen yoghurt using lactose free yoghurt.I use lactose free instead of regular milk all the time.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    I'm the odd one out here, tested positive for casein intolerance, milk protein, I'm the common one! (the NHS, tested twice but it took private tests and bingo, life changing.) I also have difficulty with salicylate and histamine intolerances which include chemicals, together they are a real pain. Something low in problem is high with the other, ended up being able to eat a very small range of foods.

I've opted out of elimination because I believe I was loosing too much in the way of balanced nutrition and have chosen to use specific digestive enzymes. I'm in my late 60's and after too many years (at least 50) discovering the causes of my pain and everything else I needed a rest.

Along my way I fetched up at Immunology, saw a wonderful Professor. He listened to my full history. Said although there can be immunological causes of intolerances many are related to poor thyroid function!

The problem then comes discovering a medical system which treats this 300 symptom plague seriously. The symptoms cover anything from heart disease, respiratory disease, mental health, reproductive issues, digestive and elimination problems including allergies/intolerances, even muscular skeletal ones, and that's before you get to weight problems which is the most trivial in my mind. I've grouped them as best I can. Society seems to be being told, These illnesses are all so very trivial. It makes me mad its not taken more seriously.

Thyroid problems need to be treated appropriately. In the UK testing of the active thyroid hormone is not allowed this does not take into consideration those who suffer as a result of genetic issues which despite their ability to use vitamins and minerals in the diet or as supplements to usable thyroid hormones. Its similar in other countries. If you get past the normal range fiasco you are then told, Take this, t4 supplement be it levo or similar and all will be well, and if you are not improving, its your fault. There is simply nothing a GP can do to help you.

Total Madness.
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    A few ideas:
    • Ghee / clarified butter doesn't have milk solids -- it's just the fat, so you should (?) be OK with that.
    • Ben and Jerry's makes fantastic vegan ice cream now.
    • Lactose-free milk
    • I just read the some cheeses -- depending on how long they've been aged -- can end up being lactose-free. I haven't investigated this very much, but if you're missing cheese you could check this out.
    • I'm OK with kefir; the fermenting process must "eat" the lactose.