Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CRP debate

Options
System
System Posts: 1,900 MFP Staff
edited May 2017 in Debate Club
This discussion was created from replies split from: Say goodbye to sugar.

Hello,

If you would like to continue your debate on CRP started in the "say goodbye to sugar" thread please do so here.

Enjoy,

4legs

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    sandytaffy wrote: »
    You should look into it, especially about the sugar. One of the best things you can do for your body is to cut back on sugar. I, myself, will take in no more than 20 grams of sugar a day. I still eat candy, home baked goods, I just ensure that my intake is no more than 20 grams. That is the only change I made to my diet, nothing else, and I lost 10 lbs. I have now taken the initiative and began a light cardio/strength routine. Very light, lol. Seriously, think about it. Good luck to all.

So you maintained an energy deficit to lose 10 lbs. That's great!
    You should look into it, especially about the sugar. One of the best things you can do for your body is to cut back on sugar. I, myself, will take in no more than 20 grams of sugar a day. I still eat candy, home baked goods, I just ensure that my intake is no more than 20 grams. That is the only change I made to my diet, nothing else, and I lost 10 lbs. I have now taken the initiative and began a light cardio/strength routine. Very light, lol. Seriously, think about it. Good luck to all.

http://time.com/4648436/apple-cider-vinegar-weight-loss/

I found this interesting. I do love the Paul Newman Balsamic Vinaigrette from McDonald's and picked up more pickled eggs from WalMart last night. The vinegar taste is almost addictive to me for some reason. If there is a weight loss connection that would be another plus of vinegar in my view.

It has sugar in it.

And your link doesn't work.

Not only does the dressing have added sugar, but balsamic vinegar itself has 2.4 grams of sugar per 1 tablespoon serving.

Thanks I double posted the link I see.

time.com/4648436/apple-cider-vinegar-weight-loss/

As for the added sugar it is in most all processed food and not something to be fearful of in and by itself in healthy people as long that it does not increase their CRP (C-Reactive Protein) test numbers.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

I found this interesting. I do love the Paul Newman Balsamic Vinaigrette from McDonald's and picked up more pickled eggs from WalMart last night. The vinegar taste is almost addictive to me for some reason. If there is a weight loss connection that would be another plus of vinegar in my view.

It has sugar in it.

Not only does the dressing have added sugar, but balsamic vinegar itself has 2.4 grams of sugar per 1 tablespoon serving.

As for the added sugar it is in most all processed food and not something to be fearful of in and by itself in healthy people as long that it does not increase their CRP (C-Reactive Protein) test numbers.

So you haven't eliminated all sugar then.

That article is a bunch of conjecture-filled click bait that proves nothing that it thinks it might claim to.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options

It has sugar in it.

CRP is a test done to check for levels of infections/inflamations - it will not rise to any significant degree if at all if one eats a high sugar diet and it has no relevance in that context.

• GaleHawkins
    Options

It has sugar in it.

CRP is a test done to check for levels of infections/inflamations - it will not rise to any significant degree if at all if one eats a high sugar diet and it has no relevance in that context.

knowyourblood.com/understanding-your-high-c-reactive-protein-levels-elevated-crp-test-results/

This seems to clear up what the CRP test actually measures and demos an in office testing kit.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I understand what CRP measures and what it's purpose is - is a common blood test and one I deal with in my work place all the time.

It's purpose, as I said before , is to measure inflammation markers - so relevant in monitoring auto immune conditions like rheumatoid arthritis or in measuring infection levels in infectious disease.

It does not have any purpose or relevance in context of sugar consumption.

healthyeating.sfgate.com/foods-avoid-high-creactive-protein-levels-11372.html

"Sugar also goes by other names, such as glucose, lactose, fructose, honey, molasses, fruit juice concentrate and syrup. It has little nutritional value and also stimulates the immune response, thus elevating C-reactive protein levels."
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    I understand what CRP measures and what it's purpose is - is a common blood test and one I deal with in my work place all the time.

It's purpose, as I said before , is to measure inflammation markers - so relevant in monitoring auto immune conditions like rheumatoid arthritis or in measuring infection levels in infectious disease.

"Sugar also goes by other names, such as glucose, lactose, fructose, honey, molasses, fruit juice concentrate and syrup. It has little nutritional value and also stimulates the immune response, thus elevating C-reactive protein levels."

I eat sugar. My CRP levels are tested regularly due to a medical condition I have.

My levels are nice and low.

They used to be elevated.

You know what got them down?

Proper management of my condition and losing a good deal of inflammatory adipose tissue.

That is a great success story and is the approach I am taking. Fat cells certainly do pump out inflammation that can pump up CRP test numbers.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

That link does not seem a medical source to me - and you do not need to provide sources showing me what CRP is - I am very familiar with it and its uses, as I explained already.

Eating sugar has no relevance to CRP levels - and not eating sugar or any other food has no effect on CRP levels. (unless specific gluten allergy or such if it triggers flare-up of specific auto immune disease eg coeliac disease )

As posters above mentioned, losing weight can help in management of some auto immune diseases, like rheumatoid arthritis, for example - but that doesnt equate to eating sugar is relevant to CRP levels.

There is no need to measure CRP in healthy people.

Please check out the 82 medical sources at the end of the article below that covers the new hs-CRP test results feature and why it may be a good screening for most MFP members for many reasons.

lifeextension.com/magazine/2014/5/testing-for-c-reactive-protein-may-save-your-life/page-01

The CRP test is on sale for $31.50 in much of the USA currently.

lifeextension.com/Vitamins-Supplements/itemLC120766/C-Reactive-Protein-CRP-Cardiac-Blood-Test

Below lists the 5 states where you can not order your own lab tests and how to find a LabCorp nearest in the USA. It lists all the testing that can be purchased through them as well.

lifeextension.com/Vitamins-Supplements/Blood-Tests/Blood-Tests

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    Which of the 82 sources are you calling twisted "science"?

The male panel is currently about 66% less expensive than I paid last Dec at a wellness exam at a local hospital.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »

That link does not seem a medical source to me - and you do not need to provide sources showing me what CRP is - I am very familiar with it and its uses, as I explained already.

Eating sugar has no relevance to CRP levels - and not eating sugar or any other food has no effect on CRP levels. (unless specific gluten allergy or such if it triggers flare-up of specific auto immune disease eg coeliac disease )

As posters above mentioned, losing weight can help in management of some auto immune diseases, like rheumatoid arthritis, for example - but that doesnt equate to eating sugar is relevant to CRP levels.

There is no need to measure CRP in healthy people.

Thank you. It's great to see somebody with some actual scientific knowledge and experience weighing in on the subject. There are a lot of pseudoscientific woo sources on the internet which have their own agendas (usually making money) to push dubious diagnoses, diets, supplements, books, etc. It's helpful for other posters who read these threads to be able to sort through the chaff and find the truth so they're not taken in by the snake oil peddlers.

I have a rule of thumb as to whether I take a source of information seriously or not. If it is trying to sell something I don't even read it as I assume it is full of woo. Reliable sites for information do not sell products.

While I get what you're saying, I can't agree 100%. It's a very good thing to be skeptical and hyper-critical, but there are some very reliable, evidence-based sources of information which do also offer products for sale. But yes, a lot of them do sell scammy woo stuff. Learning to vet one's sources is very important when trying to sort the garbage from the gold.