Can you experienced MFP peeps check this?

Options
Spiyce
Spiyce Posts: 33 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
19 year old female here, I do 45 mins Taebo daily plus Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred.

19 YO Female
5.6 Tall
215 LBs

I want to know what I should intake because I got a weird number when I did it. Take a look at my diary here.

6ax5bn4zhdfy.png
zcahemtic921.png

Not trying to end up in the hospital, so tell me what I'm doing wrong exactly. Responses and advice welcome. All ears.

Replies

• Spiyce
    Options
    Wondering if the workouts are overestimated here. Or do I need to eat more?
  • Spiyce
    Options
    Bump
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    To be safe, eat back half of those exercise calories. You're right that they can be overestimated.
  • Spiyce
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    To be safe, eat back half of those exercise calories. You're right that they can be overestimated.
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    A lot of the time the calories burned are overestimated. A lot of people only eat back 50-70% back so that they're sure they're still remaining in a deficit.

Anything other suggestions as well? Any more suggestions?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Other suggestions like what? You'll only know if you need to eat more after experimenting with eating a quantity of the exercise cals back and seeing what your weight does over time. No instant answer.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot older than you but when I was 220 (same height). I cut on 2000. I would cut on those calories NOW if I was sedentary and a normal weight. Seems low to me
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Nvm, you mean with the exercise cals. I never used mfp that way, I always used a TDEE estimator and did my own. Disregard everything I said!
  • malibu927
    Options
    I'm a lot older than you but when I was 220 (same height). I cut on 2000. I would cut on those calories NOW if I was sedentary and a normal weight. Seems low to me

At that weight (also 5'6 and I was 32 at the time) that was a bit over what my goal would have been for 2 pounds a week on lightly active. I think I was eating around 1600 at the time at a 1.5 pound deficit.
  • Spiyce
    Options
    Since I workout daily I switched it to active, and it calculated 2090 kcal. I had it on lightly active, but if I work out for over an hour daily, it should be on active. jxouo18rxv1p.png
  • Spiyce
    Options

At that weight (also 5'6 and I was 32 at the time) that was a bit over what my goal would have been for 2 pounds a week on lightly active. I think I was eating around 1600 at the time at a 1.5 pound deficit.

Not sure if I'm eating to little or not. I am toning up a ton though, and I feel amazing.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed to give you a calorie goal without exercise. When you exercise, you add it in and eat those calories in order to maintain your original deficit (or some percentage of those calories until you figure out how accurate the estimates are for you).

If you are not going to use the tool as intended, you should use a TDEE calculator and eat at around a 15% deficit. But, if you still want to try using MFP settings by choosing an activity level including your exercise ("active," according to you), do not add exercise in separately. You will be double-dipping if you do that.
  • malibu927
    Options
    Spiyce wrote: »
    Since I workout daily I switched it to active, and it calculated 2090 kcal. I had it on lightly active, but if I work out for over an hour daily, it should be on active. jxouo18rxv1p.png

What do you do for a living? MFP doesn't account for exercise in your activity level, which is why you log and eat those back separately.
  • Spiyce
    Options
    Spiyce wrote: »

What do you do for a living? MFP doesn't account for exercise in your activity level, which is why you log and eat those back separately.

I'm a college student. I only go to class, then come home. Repeat.
  • Spiyce
    Options
    If I understood correctly, I have to eat the target calorie estimate plus 50% of the exercise calories due to inaccuracies?
  • Spiyce
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    MFP is designed to give you a calorie goal without exercise. When you exercise, you add it in and eat those calories in order to maintain your original deficit (or some percentage of those calories until you figure out how accurate the estimates are for you).

If you are not going to use the tool as intended, you should use a TDEE calculator and eat at around a 15% deficit. But, if you still want to try using MFP settings by choosing an activity level including your exercise ("active," according to you), do not add exercise in separately. You will be double-dipping if you do that.

Alrighty. Took me a couple rereads, but I think I understand.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Pick your goal based on normal day to day life. Log exercise separately. Experiment with how accurate your calorie burns are in correspondence to losses over time.

Eat a lot more than 800 or 1200 calories a day, leaving 1600 on the table even with logging errors is excessive.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    Options
    As a college student you could be anywhere from lightly active to active depending on the size of your campus and how much walking and activities you do between classes.

If you use MFP as originally envisioned, you would not include deliberate exercise in your activity level and you would account for it separately.

Of course there is nothing wrong with including regular exercise in your activity level and NOT including it as a separate exercise. The only "danger" is if you double dip.

A person meeting MFP's definition of sedentary would probably not be standing up and moving around more than 45 minutes in total in a 24 hour period.

The numbers you're posting seem to imply that an average person with your stats would achieve your selected weight loss deficit by ingesting approximately ~2100 Cal a day.