Calorie goal

Options
I am sorta new to My Fitness Pal and calorie counting. I set my goals up .. I need to lose 40 lbs.. I am 5'4. I said to lose a pound a week . It says 1280 a day . Isn't that too low?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The goal it gives you is based on your age, height, weight, and gender, as well as the activity level and rate of loss you choose. You can try it for a few weeks and if you feel like you're still hungry you can change to half a pound a week. And don't forget you can eat back your exercise calories.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    The goal it gives you is based on your age, height, weight, and gender, as well as the activity level and rate of loss you choose. You can try it for a few weeks and if you feel like you're still hungry you can change to half a pound a week. And don't forget you can eat back your exercise calories.

This. Also, this is all just an estimate, start logging and track your progress over 4-6weeks. Decide if you are happy with the average or want to adjust.

The general recommendation is to stay above 1200 calories/day. Eating a variety of foods on a 1200cal+ budget should fulfill standard nutrition requirements. 1280 itself isn't a dangerously low goal, but as malibu said it's ok to up it some and settle for a slower loss rate if it means you can stick to your plan long term. That's a personal decision you will have to make.
  • aliry209
    aliry209 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks! I also set it as sedentary for activities
  • jessiebethin
    jessiebethin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    aliry209 wrote: »
    I am sorta new to My Fitness Pal and calorie counting. I set my goals up .. I need to lose 40 lbs.. I am 5'4. I said to lose a pound a week . It says 1280 a day . Isn't that too low?

It is not too low if you are basically sedentary. I am also 5'4'' and have been accomplishing an almost 1 pound a week loss on an average of 1300 cals per day but I add extra calories on days where I have a lot of activity/workouts.
  • aliry209
    aliry209 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I walked 3 miles today so it allowed 1633 for my goal