Is it normal?

Options
16letterman
16letterman Posts: 3 Member
Is it normal for your daily weight to fluctuate? I weigh every morning and every morning is a different number.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Absolutely normal :)
  • DisruptedMatrix
    DisruptedMatrix Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    That's why they say to weigh in around the same time everyday.
  • hollypink96
    hollypink96 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yeah thats why you should only weigh yourself at least once a week
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Yes very normal. Weight loss is not linear.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. What you are looking for is an overall downward trend if you are trying to lose weight. Here's a recent weight trend for me where I was at or below my calorie goal every day:

5jv3qvwivmuu.jpg
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Your energy (calorie) balance -- that is, whether you're taking in more or less calories than you need to maintain your current weight and fuel your current activity -- is only one factor in your weight fluctuations. For most people, it's the important factor to focus on, if what you care about is your weight over the long term (months, years).

Other factors, which can have a noticeable impact in the short term (hours, days), include sodium consumption, day-to-day variations in food intake that affect glycogen storage, hormones (reproductive, stress), and muscle repair, all of which can affect the amount of water in your body; and the amount of food in your digestive tract (affected by the size of meals in the last few days; and by how quickly food is moving through your digestive tract, including extreme situations like constipation, which can be affected by how much water, fiber, and fat you're consuming). For most people, this really isn't something to focus on (unless you have health concerns related to excess water retention or you have constipation), and in most cases amount to background "noise" in your weight levels that are only important if you're trying to fit into slightly tight clothes for an event within a week or two, or trying to meet a certain weight that's a few pounds away for some sort of competition (e.g., wrestling). It's just not important for reaching and maintaining a healthy weight for the long term.

In the medium term (weeks), the short-term water-retention and food-waste factors can mask (or exaggerate) weight changes due to the difference between calories consumed and calories used.