Options
2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    the keto flue sucks really bad.

The often maligned and misnamed "Keto Flu" is nothing more than your body telling you that your electrolytes are out of balance. When you follow a Ketogenic or LCHF way of eating, your body requires a MINIMUM of 3,000-5,000 mg of sodium per day. Salt you food. Heavily. All of it. Dissolved a bouillon cube in the appropriate amount of water and drink 2 cubes daily. Eat pickles. Drink the pickle juice (yes, really).

Or in place of that,just don't do keto...
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ladipoet wrote: »
    the keto flue sucks really bad.

The often maligned and misnamed "Keto Flu" is nothing more than your body telling you that your electrolytes are out of balance. When you follow a Ketogenic or LCHF way of eating, your body requires a MINIMUM of 3,000-5,000 mg of sodium per day. Salt you food. Heavily. All of it. Dissolved a bouillon cube in the appropriate amount of water and drink 2 cubes daily. Eat pickles. Drink the pickle juice (yes, really).

Or in place of that,just don't do keto...

True. Keto is not for everyone. :)
  • astone513
    astone513 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 1 week into keto lost 14.4 lbs started at 389lbs and i have soooooo much energy! Id say it isnt something you want to jump into do you're reaserch. Because it is something that will change the way you live you're life. But only if you commit to it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm playing around with it (meaning I was curious what it would feel like) and so am trying it, and really I don't think it's going to harm me to jump into it or change my life. So far I feel good, but no different than usual (my preferred carb level is around 100-120 g, though, so I'm used to somewhat lower carb).

I'm so far losing about a lb a week, which is what my deficit would predict.
  • nihalkhann007
    nihalkhann007 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A ketogenic diet works on the principal of using fat as a primary energy source by replacing carbohydrates. This diet does make you lose weight at a very fast pace because of the high calorie deficit however it requires a lot of accuracy and dedication to follow. If done incorrectly it could do more harm then good such as a slow metabolism which means you could end up gaining more weight.

I'd recommend a low carbohydrate diet as a calorie deficit makes you lose weight and the same can be achieved with a low carb diet as well. A weight loss of 0.5-1% of body weight per week is a steady and healthy pace to lose weight.

Regards
    Nihal khan
  • bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    A ketogenic diet works on the principal of using fat as a primary energy source by replacing carbohydrates. This diet does make you lose weight at a very fast pace because of the high calorie deficit however it requires a lot of accuracy and dedication to follow. If done incorrectly it could do more harm then good such as a slow metabolism which means you could end up gaining more weight.

I'd recommend a low carbohydrate diet as a calorie deficit makes you lose weight and the same can be achieved with a low carb diet as well. A weight loss of 0.5-1% of body weight per week is a steady and healthy pace to lose weight.

Regards
    Nihal khan

Ive started two weeks ago and no loss so far. Could you be more specific on the type of harm that can result of not doing it properly?

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    treehills wrote: »

Won't you gain some or the majority of the weight you lost back? (including water and actual fat).

Not unless you go back to overeating again. Once you reintroduce carbs you will regain the water weight you lost in the beginning, but unless you eat over maintenance, you won't magically gain weight.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    treehills wrote: »
    I've heard of keto and played around with it before but I have wondered about what happens once you re-introduce more carbs into your diet?

Won't you gain some or the majority of the weight you lost back? (including water and actual fat).
    Personally, I can't see myself restricting my carb intake forever or even limiting my fruits.

The water/glycogen loss comes from being depleted of carbs (three water molecules come along with every molecule of carbohydrates). The fat loss comes from the caloric deficit (which is necessary even in a ketogenic diet to lose weight).

So when you re-introduce carbs, you would gain back the water weight as your glycogen stores were replenished, but the fat loss shouldn't return unless you start eating at a caloric surplus.

This is the biggest mistake people make when considering keto - they think that somehow CICO doesn't apply, which isn't the case. Calories are still king regardless of what the macro composition of your diet is.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

The deficit can be whatever you choose. Mine is around 500 calories, which is what I'd do with more carbs.

I don't find it requires more accuracy or dedication than any other macros. (If I found the macros hard to follow I wouldn't do it, though.)

Why would doing it incorrectly mean slowing metabolism?