amoxicillin

Options
Has any members ever had an allergic reaction to amoxicillin. Gpt them for my throat but i absolutely hate taking pills.

Thx

Replies

• Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If you are having an allergic reaction to the meds you need to go back to your doctor to get a different script. If you have Strep then you need to complete a course of antibiotics in order to prevent complications of the disease and reduce time you can share it with others.

Take solace in this thought, your doctor does not want to prescribe antibiotics to you any more than you want to take them. If the DR prescribed them then he/she expects that the benefits will outweigh the risks.

As always, unless you are having complications, always take medication as directed by your doctor.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Are you allergic to penicillin? Because that's what amoxicillin is, essentially. If you're concerned, check the side effects and if you experience any of the ones they tell you to take seriously... take them seriously. As for hating pills, all I can think of is asking your doctor if there's another way to take them. Just because I've never heard of a liquid form doesn't mean there isn't one.

(I've only ever had a bit of soreness in my inner cheek and jaw. That's a side effect, not an allergic reaction.)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    If you are having an allergic reaction you need immediate medical treatment. Allergic reactions can go from mild to severe very quickly.

As for the pills, there are liquid forms of antibiotics (usually for children and pets but if it's the only option, it's better than nothing).
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I can't even discern whether the OP has actually taken the pills, let alone had a reaction. :confused:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I am. I ended up in the hospital after taking it as a kid. And, yeah, it's basically a penicillin allergy. (It was a liquid version, not that that makes a difference for the allergy.)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    OP seems to be asking this question in order to decide whether to take them.

That seems silly to me - is like asking a huge forum if anyone is allergic to peanuts.

Some people probably are and they might post to say so - but that has no bearing on whether others should eat them.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Yeah, of course that penicillin allergies exist is no reason to avoid them if you have no reason to think you have one. I thought OP thought she might be having a reaction. IME, it wasn't that subtle, but obviously one should not mess around with a potential allergy. It seems kind of unlikely that one would be an adult without having had experience with it, but I don't know what they prescribe these days, so that could be all wrong.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I didn't developed penicillin allergy until much older(mid 20s). Allergies can develop at any time.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Yeah, of course that penicillin allergies exist is no reason to avoid them if you have no reason to think you have one. I thought OP thought she might be having a reaction. IME, it wasn't that subtle, but obviously one should not mess around with a potential allergy. It seems kind of unlikely that one would be an adult without having had experience with it, but I don't know what they prescribe these days, so that could be all wrong.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    Interesting!