Gluten-free motivational support. Looking for friends.

Options
Hi all. I had to go gluten-free for health reasons this fall. So far I've been doing ok, but some days are just rough. I would love to meet some others who I can share this journey with.

Replies

• moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I went gluten free on the last day of January. I sure miss pizza and grilled cheese sandwiches.
  • drawaimfire
    drawaimfire Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    No need to miss anything! I have Celiac, unfortunately it's taken quite some time to heal but frankly the availability of quality products is amazing now even from 10 years ago.

You get to discover new to you foods and re-discover old favourites. I had grilled cheese for lunch yesterday, only give up things you won't miss ;)

It was a lifesaver for me, knowing what was wrong and how to fix it. Think of the advantages, not the drawbacks and when that thinking starts to shift, you should be happier.

Best of luck!
  • moonstroller
    Options
    I've tried gluten free bread, not a fan of it, although gluten free crackers and cookies taste fine. Haven't tried gluten free pizza yet.
  • Chatipati2
    Chatipati2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm don't have celiac, but daughter has and it's been ten years GF.
  • Faelwyn_the_Rising_Phoenix
    Options
    I've tried gluten free bread, not a fan of it, although gluten free crackers and cookies taste fine. Haven't tried gluten free pizza yet.

I agree most of the gluten free breads I have tried I am not a fan of.
  • moonstroller
    Options
    drawaimfire is right, new gluten free products are coming out all the time, so I'm sure there will be some good bread out there, but then I also wonder if I just need to give it more time to get used to the taste/consistency before giving up on it completely.
  • tmt__1993
    tmt__1993 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am a gluten free houshold due to celiac. Feel free to ask me anything. We are also lactose intolerant :) we are big Italian fans and would love to share wonderful recipes!
  • csschuett
    csschuett Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    About 8 weeks ago I started a diet with my husband. He has been newly diagnosed with arthritis in his back and doc suggested he lose 50 lbs. Husband said it would be easier for him if we did it together. I had read that people with hypothyroid (me) should eliminate gluten so we went with a low carb/high fat diet. I noticed on the second day that I could breath!! Since that realization I have not missed carbs for even one second. I can make smoothies similar enough in flavor to other sweets that I use to eat. I eat my sandwiches on lettuce leaves. Without gluten I sleep better at night, I can breathe, I am actually losing weight for the first time since my hypothyroid diagnosis, I have energy, my IBS is negligible now and several other changes that I am so pleased with.

Moonstroller, many pizza places now have gluten free crust options for pizza. I tried one on Tuesday and it does not taste the same but it was GOOD. I feel like I have a new life and at times it has been inconvenient being gluten free but it has not been a burden as I have not let it feel that way. I am totally committed to my lifestyle change, making the change with the husband has made it so much easier. Though, at some point he will eat bread again and I will not.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Canyon Bakehouse white bread is pretty good in a toasted cheese sandwich. I also used it to make pizza bites (kind of like bagel bites). I cut out a circle of the bread and put it in a muffin cup. Then I put a couple of mini pepperoni's in the bottom, topped with pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella and a couple more pepperonis. Baked them at 350 for about 10-12 minutes (melty bubbly cheese is the goal) Then once they're cool you can freeze them and reheat like a bagel bite. I served them as an appetizer and nobody knew they were GF. The non GF people scarfed them down without a clue. :)
  • moonstroller
    Options
    Canyon Bakehouse white bread is pretty good in a toasted cheese sandwich. I also used it to make pizza bites (kind of like bagel bites). I cut out a circle of the bread and put it in a muffin cup. Then I put a couple of mini pepperoni's in the bottom, topped with pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella and a couple more pepperonis. Baked them at 350 for about 10-12 minutes (melty bubbly cheese is the goal) Then once they're cool you can freeze them and reheat like a bagel bite. I served them as an appetizer and nobody knew they were GF. The non GF people scarfed them down without a clue. :)

Thanks, I'll give Canyon Bakehouse a try, I love toasted cheese sandwiches.
    Options
    csschuett wrote: »
    About 8 weeks ago I started a diet with my husband. He has been newly diagnosed with arthritis in his back and doc suggested he lose 50 lbs. Husband said it would be easier for him if we did it together. I had read that people with hypothyroid (me) should eliminate gluten so we went with a low carb/high fat diet. I noticed on the second day that I could breath!! Since that realization I have not missed carbs for even one second. I can make smoothies similar enough in flavor to other sweets that I use to eat. I eat my sandwiches on lettuce leaves. Without gluten I sleep better at night, I can breathe, I am actually losing weight for the first time since my hypothyroid diagnosis, I have energy, my IBS is negligible now and several other changes that I am so pleased with.

Moonstroller, many pizza places now have gluten free crust options for pizza. I tried one on Tuesday and it does not taste the same but it was GOOD. I feel like I have a new life and at times it has been inconvenient being gluten free but it has not been a burden as I have not let it feel that way. I am totally committed to my lifestyle change, making the change with the husband has made it so much easier. Though, at some point he will eat bread again and I will not.

I'll have to try lettuce in place of bread. I have been trying to reduce carbs.
    I'm app happy that GF has been helping you! Awesome!
  • jenmarrs429
    jenmarrs429 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    13 years GF here. It has gotten a lot easier as new products get added.
    You do get used to it.

I skip the GF bread....it sucks. I use a slice of tomato or cuke and make open face "sammiches" instead. Gluten free matzoh works for that too.
    Udi's GF bagels are decent. I like the Freschetta pizza.

I also stalk the Passover section every spring .... lots of gluten free items you only see once a year!
    Options
    That sounds like a good idea, thank you!