Has anyone offered you junk food out of concern for your health?

Options
Has anyone said you shouldn't lose weight and offered you junk out of concern for your health?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,889 Member
    Options
    incisron wrote: »
    Has anyone said you shouldn't lose weight and offered you junk out of concern for your health?

Nope.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I second @Machka9's reply^^^. h.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Not even once.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,598 Member
    Options
    I've been told to eat a burrito but that's about it.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Um. No.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Why is this person concerned for you?
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    No! OMG.
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've hear of that happening when you're the most skinny in your group of friends or family. My mom isn't at all fat but she has told me to eat more or stop losing weight since I look fine at the weight I'm.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Never.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Never been offered junk food, but have been told many time by friends that I don't need to lose weight when I know I do, it's more out of politeness than concern though.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I would be very strange to push junk food out of concern for health. Even if someone was underweight you would encourage protein drinks, almond butter, avocados, almonds etc. - calorie dense nutritional food.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    That's a negative, Ghostrider.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Have many times been offered 'junk food' - meaning non nutrient dense food like cakes, chocolates etc.

Not by anyone concerned about my health but just because people are nice and like to share yummy treats (and I do love chocolate!)
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I don't really consider very many foods absolute junk, but yes, I have gotten offered pastries, cake, bacon, sandwiches, chips, chocolate, by people who meant well. Its something I got used to when I was underweight, I just said 'no thanks' politely. Most people don't think about what it might mean to someone on a restricted calorie way of eating unless they are eating disordered or have been overweight themselves, so its just them being polite or generous I think.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    People at work are forever trying to push doughnuts and other junk at me because I'm "getting too skinny" and "one won't kill you".

I just decline to eat it because I don't like those things.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I think it was more sabotage than concern. I used to share an apartment with someone who had... issues. They only got worse when she developed a longterm disability. But to say that she was needy and manipulative would be an understatement. Our relationship devolved into co-dependency. And once she knew I was trying to lose weight, she'd make a point of giving me baked goods. If I turned them down? "So you mean you're NEVER having cake again?" (I've got the clarity to recognize that strawman now, but then? Not so much.) "You're getting too obsessive about this. You're going to get an eating disorder." And since she was an anorexic in recovery, I thought she knew what she was talking about.

Well. She's out of my life now and I think/hope I have a better ability to deal with her, should our paths cross again.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    lauracups wrote: »
    Yup, but it wasn't out of concern, it was from an uglier place. Many years ago when I was at a mid range healthy bmi, I was at a beach picnic, chocolate covered strawberries were being passed around in a container, (chocolate can be a trigger, so if I feel I need to avoid I do) I was walking away toward water when my mother yells out to the person with the strawberries "she wants one!". I was furious, as my mother lectures me "it's rude to turn down food that someone made special ". The irony, my mother is anorexic, but would either call me a whale (when i was heavy ) or (when I was fit) say things "what you trying to prove looking like that."
    If someone is truly concerned for you, they'll show compassion for your wants and needs without ulterior motive.

Oh my gosh, Laura, this is terrible and I can relate on the dysfunctional, competitive mom.

My mother would cal me lard-A or fat-A (at 110 lbs.) And then when I lost weight she would giggle and literally snort about how I had no boobs and point at them and squeal "They're almost real!", usually in front of my friends but especially in front of my boyfriends.