Jogging in place

Options
Morning all, I'm wanting to start running but too self conscious to run outside. Thinking of jogging on the spot inside. I notice that MFP has an option to log exercise for this but wondered if anyone else does it instead of running inside and how they get on with it? I would like to progress with running outside eventually but right now i just don't have the confidence. I'll use my Fitbit to log the calories but presume they wouldn't be as high as physically running outside? Also, do you think I would gain weight when I start due to my body holding onto water? Thanks x

Replies

• Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Would you say walking is better than jogging in place then?
  • missblinx
    missblinx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think jogging in place is good and so is walking. I did jogging in place a lot when the weather was bad.
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Options
    Thanks Hun. I'm just not confident enough to run outside.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I started by walking, elliptical and jogging in place. Once I could jog in place for 30 minutes non-stop and do high intensity on the elliptical for 60 mintues, I felt confident enough to try jogging outside (it was sooo much harder, but felt great). I can now jog for about an hour/7km. My fat rolls wobble and jiggle like mad, but knowing I can keep going without having to slow for a walk has done a lot for my confidence.

I still go for an at least 15 minutes walk every day and I still jog in place in little bursts of 5 minutes to get myself moving when I'm sitting at my desk all day. ) have now also added a 6-8km bike ride after work every second day.

Build up your confidence in whatever way works for you. You can do this
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I run outside, however, on my rest days I jog on the spot inside if I haven't reached my (arbitrary) 10 thousand steps! I would recommend walking outside if you aren't comfortable running yet, you get your daily vitamin D (bone health!) and increased confidence as you walk further and faster over time. Give it a go, what do you have to lose? I love seeing people of all shapes & sizes out there improving their health when I run.
  • JPotamus
    JPotamus Posts: 33 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Do what you can for now. Jog in place if you have to. And then progress. No shame. Just do it.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I walk and jog in place constantly at home. Or I run around my house in circles and figure eights depending on if I'm watching tv or not. I don't like just sitting and watching tv for hours anymore so I move while I watch. It burns a few calories and gets me some extra steps for my day.
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Options
    Thanks all x
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The calorie burn for jogging in place should be close to what you would experience by jogging outside on flat land. The difference is that you won't have inclines to deal with or wind pushing against you.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    The calorie burn for jogging in place should be close to what you would experience by jogging outside on flat land. The difference is that you won't have inclines to deal with or wind pushing against you.

The motion is also quite different because you're not pushing backward with your legs to propel yourself forward, so it won't translate directly to being able to run for as long at the same pace outdoors. Even a treadmill has that same effect - you are not propelling yourself forward - and so when you do transition to running outdoors you have to keep that in mind.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

The motion is also quite different because you're not pushing backward with your legs to propel yourself forward, so it won't translate directly to being able to run for as long at the same pace outdoors. Even a treadmill has that same effect - you are not propelling yourself forward - and so when you do transition to running outdoors you have to keep that in mind.

Ah! that explains why it seems so much harder to jog outdoors vs jogging in place and on the treadmill.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i lost a lot of weight and improved my overall fitness walking, and it's a lot less hard on your knees and ankles than jogging. the key to walking for fitness would be not to take breaks during your walk and to walk so your heartrate is up and your breathing quickens but not to the point of panting or gasping or any discomfort. when i was in dismal condition after a lung issue, i walked slowly but i walked, and it built my legs up and gradually improved things so i could walk faster. my calves looked great, too.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    sazzle1983 wrote: »
    Morning all, I'm wanting to start running but too self conscious to run outside. Thinking of jogging on the spot inside. I notice that MFP has an option to log exercise for this but wondered if anyone else does it instead of running inside and how they get on with it? I would like to progress with running outside eventually but right now i just don't have the confidence. I'll use my Fitbit to log the calories but presume they wouldn't be as high as physically running outside? Also, do you think I would gain weight when I start due to my body holding onto water? Thanks x

I jog in place occasionally - but its NOT the same as actual running. I'd liken the burn/workout level to be closer to a brisk walk.

Any new exercise can cause water retention for muscle repair. If I've not done this in a while and I jog in place for 30-40 minutes during a lunch hour (such as on a rainy day) then my calf muscles will be sore the next day. This is NOT 'weight' gain. Water is temporary.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Better to jog in places.

You can probably find somewhere other people won't be.
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You won't gain weight but your muscles might retain some water (making you appear heavier on the scale) I use "Walk with Leslia Sansone" on youtube and she does walking/jogging in place but uses different moves to target different muscles. I've had good success with that. But, my favorite running is in my own backyard. I don't have a huge yard but I just walk/run the perimeter. I also will walk/run around the entirw house including front yard. But, you could do just the back of you didn't want anyone to see you. At the end of the day, some activity is better than none so of that is jogging in place then do that :smile: