Cookbooks

Options
kellylynnshonting
kellylynnshonting Posts: 108 Member
Suggestion Time:

I am in search for my first cookbook and was hoping for some recommendations.

What cookbook(s) are your favorite and why?

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Since it is your first cookbook I would suggest a basic cookbook like Betty Crocker. It will give you all the basics from breakfast, baking, roasting, entrees, veggies, etc. It will also have cooking charts, advice about storing foods and so on.

Then from there I would get a regional like a community or church cookbook. It will have tried and true recipes from your neighbors, city, town or state.

For healthy recipes I would look at Cooking Light. They publish all kinds of cookbooks so you can pick what interest you.

I have a few celebration cookbooks that give you a menu for different holidays and occasions. I have really enjoyed cooking from them too.

Now days I use a lot of recipes from pinterest and web searches too. It is great to have so many options. I hope you find one you enjoy.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This^

The Betty Crocker Cookbook - so much useful information in there. Basics on everything. New editions are updated to take changing tastes into consideration.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian. For me, Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and 1,000 Vegan Recipes are my go-tos. I've also found great recipes at www.vegetariantimes.com. VT has put out a number of good cookbooks, too.

I cook meat for my husband and he loves the Spice and Spirit (kosher) cookbook.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Mark Bittman, writer for the NY Times, has one called "How to Cook Everything."
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I have shelves packed with many different cook books, binders and books full of recipes, subscriptions and back issues to several magazines, and I have to agree with the Betty Crocker recommendations above. It is an absolute classic, so simple and easy to use, and includes nutritional breakdowns. I learned to cook from my mom's 1960s Betty Crocker, and I am constantly referencing the edition I received as a wedding gift. I have given many as gifts myself.

For more advanced cookbooks, I really like Julia Child, Ina Garten, and Martha Stewart, but for your first basic book, Betty Crocker all the way.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    The Joy of Cooking and the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook are great basic/starter cookbooks.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Agree on all those basics, but would also recommend the Smitten Kitchen cookbook. She's wonderful, and her recipes are really innovative.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    My favourite cookbooks are the LooneySpoons Collection, Eat Shrink and Be Merry, Crazy Plates and Looney Spoons, all by Janet and Greta Podleski. These cookbooks cover a wide variety of foods, different cuisines vegetarian, etc. They use ordinary ingredients that are easily food at local grocery stores, and they give servings sizes and corresponding calorie counts and macro breakdowns. The food is great, and the are basically lower calorie versions of comfort foods. There are appetizers, soups salads, veggies, mains and even desserts.

In 18 months, I have lost 115 pounds cooking from these books, and love love love them for the variety.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The Betty Crocker Cook Book was my first...it has a lot of valuable information about cooking in general, not just recipes. It was a gift from my mom for my 21st birthday.

I have an entire book shelf fool of cook books now...honestly, I hardly ever use them as I primarily use Pinterest to find new ideas...but you really can't beat Betty Crocker for learning the basics and going from there.
  • KetoNaomi
    KetoNaomi Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm on keto and I use 2 cookbooks currently. Ketosis Cookbook: Melt The Fat Away, because it has more than 370 keto recipes, and Transforming Recipes: Ultra Low Carb Edition.
  • kellylynnshonting
    kellylynnshonting Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all for all the helpful information.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    susanp57 wrote: »
    Mark Bittman, writer for the NY Times, has one called "How to Cook Everything."

This is the one I always recommend as a first cookbook for someone who is just starting to learn to cook. It's great. His Fish book is good too.

I like Greene on Greens as a classic book on cooking vegetables too.
  • NEMom80
    NEMom80 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I like my cookbooks enough but I also love checking out Pinterest and printing recipes and making my own binder cookbook. I keep the pages loose until I try a recipe and if the recipe is a success I will put it in a clear sleeve and add it to the binder.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I use my Trim Healthy Mama book a ton. Lots of really yummy easy recipes. And the Whole 30 book is full of simple recipes using basic ingredients.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I like good food/recipe magazines - they will have seasonal recipes, using readily available ingredients in most cases and lots of tips. There are often healthier eating ones available.

Not sure of titles where you are though!
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any cookbooks, I'd agree with the recommendations for a basic cookbook. The ones I use the most for basics are Joy of Cooking and New Better Homes and Gardens (I think that's the name of the red plaid one). I've also heard good things about Betty Crocker and Fannie Farmer cookbooks.

The cookbook I've been using the most lately is Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook. I don't follow their diet plan, but the book is full of good everyday recipes. You can tell it's written by women who have a bunch of kids, busy lives, and a need to get meals on the table every day. Most (all?) of the recipes are easy, tasty, and relatively quick. I've made more recipes out of this book than probably any other cookbook I've owned. And more of these recipes have become daily go-to's than from any other book or website.
  • orban1geci
    orban1geci Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had problem with meal prep and cooking in the past, going on a recipe hunt online just to make something to dinner.

Buying a cookbook that included a meal plan was seriously a lifesaver to me.

So if you are like me, and would like to simplify your diet, I recommend this cookbook reviewed here: https://tastyketo.com/keto-cookbook/

It comes loaded with features and free extras, besides the almost 400 delicious recipes.

Take a look!
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I also would suggest Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book. It has so many basic recipes that I have used over and over again. It also provides good directions and most of the recipes do not have a lot of ingredients. I just made Easy Mexicali Casserole this morning before I left for work. It is a favorite. I also love the baking sections, too.

My second suggestion would be Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook. I love the pictures of every recipe! Again there are a lot of basic recipes. I use the pizza recipe often, And I am well known among our family for making the Lemon Loaf Bread from that book. It is SO good!

Happy cooking!

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,642 Member
    Options
    The Joy of Cooking was my first cookbook.

It's a great reference. The first edition was designed to teach the first generation middle class housewives not able to afford servants. So everything you would be expected to know but didn't learn at home.

I've got an older edition from the 70s that includes instructions for skinning a squirrel.