Food pre-workout

Options
2»

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    4 oz lean beef and 140 grams jasmine rice. Boring but effective.
  • holatrish32
    holatrish32 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How can u weight train with no fuel? I never train on an empty stomach I mean weight train, it is hard to eat that early in the morning but surely fueling ur workout is vital?
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Well I'm an after work workout guy. If it's a weights day I usually opt for some sort of protein before my workout so like a chicken tender or beef jerky. On cardio days I do something like cheese and crackers. Just enough to give me a boost and taking my preworkout on an empty stomach makes me a little queasy.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    How can u weight train with no fuel? I never train on an empty stomach I mean weight train, it is hard to eat that early in the morning but surely fueling ur workout is vital?

Presumably your muscles have enough glycogen stores from the night before. I lifted for 45 minutes this morning and then another 50 minutes of cardio on an empty stomach and was fine.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I usually do my exercise in the evening after dinner, so my dinner was my pre-workout food.
  • julesEMS2016
    julesEMS2016 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I like sugar. Rice Krispie treat, maybe an apple. I really like a protein bar but it seems like I should have it after a workout. Still, I really just do what I want. I've been seen eating sour patch kids and candy DURING my workout.

LOL! I've never thought to have candy... I don't know that I would feel very well afterwords. You just made my day though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Walking my dog in the AM I just take my thermos of coffee. If I ride in the AM, I ride fasted. I lift after work on Wednesday and I usually have a snack around 4 and it takes me an hour or so to get to the gym. I lift on Friday during my lunch hour so I've had breakfast and then eat lunch when I get back to the office.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    When I workout at 5am. I only have a pre workout powder. No food. I eat later on in the day.

Same here. Pre-Workout or coffee only if I am out of it. If I eat breakfast before working out, I get lethargic and my workout suffers. I eat dinner between 6pm-7pm and usually have a pre-bed snack of some sort so I burn that energy in the early mornings for workouts. I eat after the workout.
  • TheChaoticBuffalo
    TheChaoticBuffalo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I get up at 7:30 and am at the gym at 9:00. In between, I have a glass of whole milk and a container of Yoplait light yogurt (various flavors). After the workout, I have a 20 oz bottle of water with Hawaiian Punch powder mixed in and some Triscuits to hold me over until lunch.
  • nihalkhann007
    nihalkhann007 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It is a personal choice here. An ideal pre workout meal would be a moderate sized meal of carbohydrates and protein. Carbohydrates here would help in performance and fuel you with energy and the protein helps in build and repair of muscle tissue. Oats+ whey, Sweet potato, apple along with a handful of nuts are good chocies.

Regards
    Nihal Khan
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I typically don't eat anything if my workout occurs before 9am. If it's later in the morning, the only thing I can handle is yogurt. Yogurt is easier for me to digest and doesn't feel like a brick an hour later.