• MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    For me it's a full calendar day.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    Last Sunday was a rest day for me.

We cycled a century (100 miles) on Saturday and wrapped it up about 6 pm or so.

From then until about 5 pm on Sunday afternoon, I did practically nothing. Then, late on Sunday afternoon, my husband and I went for a flat casual 2 km walk. My rest days usually include a short walk like this.

Monday, about noon, I was back into the usual brisk, hilly walk with backpack I do on a Monday afternoon ... and a little later on Monday afternoon, I did a spin class and then rowed.

I don't think I could have done Monday's spin class without the rest day on Sunday.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    A recovery day for me, simply implies no lifting or hard conditioning. I still hit the recumbent for an hour or so of LISS and some mobility work.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    The most important thing, I think, is the idea that a rest or recovery day is bracketed by sleep cycles.
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a 30 days challenge where basically I do a spin class every day (and 2x week, weights). It just ended after I did a 1 hour intense spin class Sunday at 9:30 a.m.

From 10:30 a.m. Sunday to my next workout - a spin class at 6:30 p.m. Monday night - I did nothing. What I found was that I was totally recharged. Last night, after 35-36 hours "off", I hit all kinds of personal bests in class for resistance, speed etc. This prompted me to think about my recovery and how I approach "rest".

I felt FULLY recovered and rarin' to go. Yet, I had not taken an entire calendar day off. Even though I took a block of time off that technically exceeds 24 hour calendar day period.

I guess ultimately... listen to your body, like many of you say!