What should I set for my daily activity levels?

Options
Hi everyone, I've been at this for five weeks now, and I've since lost 9lbs. I've still got a very long way to go, but I'm very pleased with the progress I'm making. Here's what I'm wondering. When I first joined, I lived a completely sedentary lifestyle, and did absolutely no physical activity. Since then, I've started going to the gym 2-4 times a week, where I typically run 4-4.5 miles on the elliptical trainer in 30 minutes. During this time, my heart rate is typically anywhere between 180-195, so I know I'm working hard. However, this is the only physical activity I do. Therefore, I'm still living an otherwise sedentary lifestyle.

Now that I'm going to the gym for half an hour a few times each week, is this still considered a sedentary lifestyle? MFP breaks lifestyle into four categories: sedentary, lightly active, active, and very active. For lightly active, it says that a person should spend a good part of the day on his feet. I most certainly do not do this. However, according to several BMR calculators I've seen that have the same breakdown of categories, a person who is considered lightly active is one who exercises 1-3 times a week. Am I to assume that "lightly active" is similar all around, or is MFP's breakdown different than the others?

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    In this case, I think it's best to leave yourself as Sedentary and log all of your exercise.

Setting an activity level is more like if everyday you were on your feet as your occupation. Such as nurse, waiter, daycare provider, ect.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    MFP wants your daily job activity. So if you work a desk job you're considered sedentary. I work as a cashier/sales person which they consider lightly active. Any exercise you do outside of your normal daily life/job is supposed to be logged and the calories eaten back. That's why it gives you the extra calories because it's not considering your workouts when it gives you the daily calorie goal.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I have an office job, but I like to walk a lot on my own time. I set myself to lightly active to account for things like walking the dog, yardwork, chores, etc., but I log any actual workout I do above and beyond the normal routine, and eat extra that day accordingly. If you leave yourself at sedentary, just make sure you log any significant exercise you do (workouts, walks, mowing the lawn, etc.) and eat accordingly.
  • janimei
    janimei Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    At first I had my activity level set to lightly active, but after reading some posts, I realized that "sedentary" was the right setting for me (a retired person who watches several hours of TV per day).
    The posting that linked the level to your occupation, not your other activities, reflects MFP's viewpoint.