I'm running a 5K on Saturday! (I have questions!)

Options
13»

Replies

• FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    JessM822 wrote: »
    As I read these posts I get a little concerned. People that are new to running/cycling, or just fitness are asking honest questions. In return they get a lot of people giving advice that shouldn't be. Some of us run 3.10 miles daily and don't think it's big deal. It's a big deal to the person asking the question. To her it is abig deal. We were all there at one point. Let's not forget that.

What advice is being given that shouldn't be? The advice that your body is perfectly capable of dealing with the 5k distance without worrying about changing her normal routine? That she doesn't need to be overly concerned with carb loading or any of the myriad of concerns that new runners can get caught up in?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    JessM822 wrote: »
    As I read these posts I get a little concerned. People that are new to running/cycling, or just fitness are asking honest questions. In return they get a lot of people giving advice that shouldn't be. Some of us run 3.10 miles daily and don't think it's big deal. It's a big deal to the person asking the question. To her it is abig deal. We were all there at one point. Let's not forget that.

The only bad advice I see is the must eat post. That's been challenged.

For a 5K there is no physiological reason to specifically fuel, taper, carb load or do anything unusual. Yes it's a challenge, but the originator can already do the distance. We're not talking first Marathon when one hasn't actually run that far until the day of the race, as most plans are. There is no leap into the unknown.

Yes, the is anticipation, anxiety etc around a first race. The best advice is to relax, enjoy it and not beat yourself up over how it went.
  • JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Maybe my posts haven't been very clear to some people. In short, don't worry or stress about your 5K. Have a great time and let your training do the work. Your first is always an awesome experience and you'll learn a lot about yourself. Don't feel pressured or unsure. Hit the line and run.

To those select few that took my posts the wrong way. I have more races and longer distances under my belt than 99% of you. I've been through hell and back in some very long distance events. All of my events are documented on top of it all. I will always cheer on a first timer no matter what distance they're going for. When I first started out I remember a lot of the comments that were made towards me or the doubt people had. I know first hand how important having support is.