Thyroid and metabolism

Options
Hi all,

I had my half my thyroid removed around 8 Years ago and now am on thyroxine permanently,also vitamin d as the thyroid issues brought on a deficiency. Since the surgery have struggled with m weight but kind of kept it in check with a lot of exercise and sport. Due to changes in circumstances and employment I am unable to do the level I was doing.

Anyway my question is if my thyroid function tests are normal does that mean my metabolism will be normal?
Thanks

Replies

• VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I had my half my thyroid removed around 8 Years ago and now am on thyroxine permanently,also vitamin d as the thyroid issues brought on a deficiency. Since the surgery have struggled with m weight but kind of kept it in check with a lot of exercise and sport. Due to changes in circumstances and employment I am unable to do the level I was doing.

Anyway my question is if my thyroid function tests are normal does that mean my metabolism will be normal?
    Thanks

From everything I've read, the answer would be, "yes". I had my entire thyroid removed in 2015. Once we found the correct doses of meds, I was just like everyone else where weight management is concerned.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If your level of activity/exercise drops, you'll need to lower your calorie intake level to maintain your current weight.
  • theledger5
    theledger5 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think it varies from person to person. I had a total thyroidectomy 14 years ago as well as my parathyroids removed. In the past I lost weight with slimming world, but now I am doing loads of exercise and counting cals but it's not coming off easily. My levels are 'normal' but I know so many people in the same boat who struggle with thyroid. I work with GP's and nurses and they all tell me it's much harder work without a thyroid and weight loss, although achieveable, can be a struggle. Equally I know people also thyroidless who lose weight the same as normal people.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism is largely driven by your lean muscle mass. Thyroid only impacts your Resting Energy Expenditure (REE) by ~5% and that is unmedicated. When medicated your BMR/REE should be in the same range.

I had a total thyroidectomy in 2000. Over the next 14 years I gained about 70 lbs. This had nothing to do with thyroid. I transitioned from a high active physically demanding job in the military to a cushy civilian job in academia. I had no clue what I was eating and never exercised. I found MFP in 2014 and lost 60 lbs over a year.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options
    Everyone's calorie requirements differ. Most people are close to the average, a few further away. Hypothyroidism that's well-controlled on medication should make you similar to how you'd be if not hypothyroid, but your metabolism is still its own unique thing compared to other people.

People have lower calorie needs if they're less active (not just exercise but even fidgetiness), if they have less lean mass (higher body fat %) at the same weight, and maybe even if they've been yo-yo dieters in the past, among other things.

These aren't all big differences, but they're differences. Some of them are within our control.

As far as I could tell, I had no more trouble losing weight than a non-hypothyroid person my age (61 now, 59-60 when losing 60+ pounds). . . maybe less trouble, in fact, as I've been athletically active for a decade and am probably more muscular than average for my age, and haven't dieted much until this round.