Do i need to cut?

Hopefully someone can help. Im 5'4 and 128 lbs, over the last year ive lost 35 lbs and im at a healthy weight now, however i have four children and have a little bit of stubborn fat in my tummy area! Ive recently started strength training and i love it, my question is do i need to lose weight to tighten up my stomach or will the lifting help with this as i think im at a goodcweight. Ive been eating 1458 cals a day for the last couple of weeks but it just doesnt feel like enough. Any thoughts?

Replies

• ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    Strength training will definitely help make you look more toned and tight. Don't focus on the scale as much and focus more on your actually body composition... building muscle which will later on help you burn more fat... I usually try to do a little mini cut every 6-9 months but otherwise I just keep on plugging away at the weights and maintenance level calories...
  • ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    I've had three babies of my own, and my tummy still isn't as tight as I'd like... but it takes time and consistency! Keep up the good work!
  • sinead29
    sinead29 Posts: 69 Member
    ktfranke wrote: »
    I've had three babies of my own, and my tummy still isn't as tight as I'd like... but it takes time and consistency! Keep up the good work!

You look amazing...kudos!
  • gbishop34
    gbishop34 Posts: 2 Member
    Way to go getting back to a healthy weight after having four kids! That's so hard to do. I have had two myself. I'm 46, 5'7" and about 150 pounds right now (I have a lot of muscle). I do a lot of strength training, and have for about 10 years now to keep my back happy, and to keep my metabolism higher. My goal weight is around 144, but I struggle staying there once I get there. I think that weight training will be very helpful for your goals - if anything, you will love the way you look and feel. To be honest though, I think it is really hard for our "baby bump" skin to ever go completely back to "normal." Even with just two kiddos, mine is a bit soft and sticks out - even at my lowest weight. I imagine having had four, you have similar issues... I think we have to learn to be happy with how we look - accept our "battle scars" of having some lovely children and move on. Or, if you desire and can afford - surgery/cool sculpting might be the only way to remove what's left after we get to a healthy weight. You can't target fat loss... It comes off of us all at different rates and from different places. By the way - you'll gain weight while you build muscle - don't be afraid. Good luck, and again - congrats!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    Depends on you and how you feel. I'm 5'4" and when I was 128 I was ITTY bitty. I started getting frustrated because shirts just hung off of me.
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    If you feel like you are already at a good weight then a re-comp would probably be the way to go. Should help with body composition without losing too much. Try eating at maintenance while doing heavy lifting. Like others have said, it is hard for females to really tighten their stomach after kids just from the stretch that it has taken on. You may be extremely lean but still have some excess skin from the pregnancy stretch.
  • psychrat
    psychrat Posts: 21 Member
    I have the same states as you (5'4 and 128 lbs) and am wondering the same thing. However, I have no children and I still have excess fat in my lower stomach area. I think I am going to try to get down to 125 and recomp, but I am undecided. I started lifting heavy 2 months ago and have seen changes just not a lot in the stomach. I am hoping to get rid of this belly for my wedding in October and I am keeping my fingers crossed

I guess I have no advise and I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone! I will be following this thread closely ;)
  • sinead29
    sinead29 Posts: 69 Member
    psychrat wrote: »
    I have the same states as you (5'4 and 128 lbs) and am wondering the same thing. However, I have no children and I still have excess fat in my lower stomach area. I think I am going to try to get down to 125 and recomp, but I am undecided. I started lifting heavy 2 months ago and have seen changes just not a lot in the stomach. I am hoping to get rid of this belly for my wedding in October and I am keeping my fingers crossed

I guess I have no advise and I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone! I will be following this thread closely ;)

Good to know im not the only one!!. Ive decided to eat at maintenance for a while and recomp. Im going to lift three times a week and try and do one circuit class. Im also going to stop weighing myself for a while and re-evaluate in a couple of months. (Dropped a pound last week so 127 now). Honestly weighing every week messes with my head!

• Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited May 2017
    Body comp over scales every time...

You can even get Body Comp scales!

Abs are found in the kitchen, but made bigger in the gym