Have Any Of Yous Lost Weight Without Removing Carbs From Your Diet?

Options

Replies

• kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah! And without eating anything that isn't actually food--like artificial sweeteners or protein powders or other such nonsense.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Yep. Over 100lbs. With a few 95-100% carb days (BRAT for IBS).

Low carb is absolutely not necessary for weight loss. It actually caused my digestive/intestinal distress.
  • TriPaulCantRun
    TriPaulCantRun Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I eat loads of carbs, I'm a pasta monster.

Fuel the body!
  • Dianetheinvincible
    Dianetheinvincible Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Of course. Calories in, calories out, that's all that matters for getting fat off.
  • llwll
    llwll Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Not so much unfortunately… When I'm cutting carbs ( but it's almost impossible) I loose much more of my kg… I'm admiring pals, who can "lost all my weight on a high carb diet." :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    This is my food diary from Sunday - pretty high carb!

yeq9sqedskj0.png

Still in a calorie deficit for the day and it's your calorie balance that means you lose, gain or maintain your weight.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Yes. Carbs are not evil, you need them for a balanced diet. CICO is what matters, throw in some exercise to get your muscles working (and give you some extra calories to eat) and you're good.

If you have a problem, check your quantities - are you weighing pasta, for example? No point eyeballing or putting it in a cup and thinking you have a "portion".
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Aww thank you for replying guys!

I actually love having carbs in the morning as it keeps me full! I dont think I could ever remove carbs from my diet

Then don't. If it works for your satiety and diet adherence, then don't change it.

Personally, there's 2 reasons I can't do LC(HF)
    1. No gallbladder, so cutting out carbs means I'd need to up fat (there's only so much protein I can swallow in a day) and that is not a pleasant proposition for my digestion...
    2. I turn into a monster if I'm too low on my carbs. 'Crabby' doesn't even begin to describe it. I'm not sure the world needs another serial killer :tongue:
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    llwll wrote: »
    Not so much unfortunately… When I'm cutting carbs ( but it's almost impossible) I loose much more of my kg… I'm admiring pals, who can "lost all my weight on a high carb diet." :)
    Of course you can! I thought so once, too. Carbs don't make anyone hold on to fat unless one eats at or over maintenance. It's all calories. Initial weight drop with low carb is mostly water, anyway.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    llwll wrote: »

It was actually quite simple.

I entered my information into MFP.
    I chose sedentary as my activity level.
    I opted to lose 0.5 kg/week.
    MFP gave me a number of calories to consume.
    I consumed that number of calories.

I also exercised and ate about half my exercise calories back.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Nope. I am one of those people that didn't really lose that much just by restricting calories (and eating pretty much the same way) and I was miserable. I am happier eating fat rather than carbs and my pain level is way down.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    carbs make up close to 50% of my daily calories (I take in 300+ most days a week) and I'm down 10lbs - focusing more on recomp than weight loss
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    50lbs lost here, never tracked or paid any attention to my carb intake. The only thing that matters for weight loss is that you're hitting the appropriate calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. Calories, calories and yes-calories :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    I lost weight and reached my goal without ever restricting carbs, and my dietary intake is by no means low carb.

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    118 pounds, maintaining for 3 years. I pay absolutely zero attention to my carb intake.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    25lbs down and I still eat all the carbs. You will take the pizza out of my cold, dead hands.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    In theory you don't need to remove anything from your diet to lose weight.
    In real life is easier to lose weight if you cut down or eliminate what your "problem food" is. For me are carbs. When cutting I try to cut down carbs so I can use the calories in something better for my body like protein. In theory you don't need to eliminate anything, again, but I would rather eat 400 calories in protein than 6oz of white rice( I made this numbers up ).
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Like many others OP, I lost my weight, >30 lbs, and am now maintaining with no particular attention paid to carbs. I aim for 100 g of protein per day and that's all I look at, from a macro perspective. Weight loss/maintenance/weight gain all comes down to calories.

Curious what prompted you to post this initially and why you believed you needed to cut carbs in order to lose weight?
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I aim for 100 g of protein per day and that's all I look at, from a macro perspective. Weight loss/maintenance/weight gain all comes down to calories.

I do the same, and I notice that if I just focus on getting in the protein in while staying within my calorie goal, that that will, by necessity, tend to cut out a refined carb somewhere in my day. IMO, it tends to be a good tradeoff in terms of satiety so I do eat way fewer refined carbs than I used to, but not because I can't to lose weight. It just makes it easier.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    DW and I lost over 110 pounds and ate all the carbs we cared to. Including bread, pasta, ice cream......