Rest days

Options
emar831
emar831 Posts: 16 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I am 12 pounds into my 100 pound weight loss goal. I am going to the gym 5 days a week for anywhere from 45-90 minutes a day. I generally do 45-60 cardio and then about 30 mins on weight machines. I rest two days a week on average but sometimes just one. Is light yoga bad on rest days or do I need to strictly rest for at least one day?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    It's going to depend on which asanas you do, how challenging they are for you, and what you did the day before. If you work your upper body on the weight machines one day, I wouldn't do a lot of downward-facing-dogs, and positions that you're balancing all or most of your weight on hands/arms the next day, especially if you find those positions challenging in terms of strength.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Rest doesn't mean do nothing, just taking it easier than a full on workout. If your yoga is not very strenuous it should be fine
  • kenjhammond65
    kenjhammond65 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Active rest is what you want. On rest days you still need to get in a little light activity. It would also be better to weight train before your cardio efforts. And also make sure your working hard during those workouts, not just going through the motions.
  • emar831
    emar831 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have been pushing myself and it feels good! I am up 10-20 pounds on all machines over the past month and am doing almost twice as much cardio as I did starting out. Now I am working on adding incline and resistance during cardio.
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't break on exercise in rest day's thats because i'm using TDEE formulas. I'm also working out 5x a week moderate cycling everyday Saturday and Sunday is rest day for me I'm just doing at that day some light cycling which is not so strenous like in moderate cycling or maybe I go walking for miles moderately to brisk pace :)