Inguinal Hernia surgery

Options
I'm getting my hernia repaired tomorrow. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on this process during a surgery recovery? A little about me, I'm a 39yo m 6ft tall who weighed 262 last March. I now weigh 176-177. I'm still looking to lose another 10 maybe 15 depending on how I feel and look. I strength train 3 days a week and jog and power walk a lot ( about 20-30 miles a week) . Should I eat maintenance while I'm not as active. I use a fitbit so I could just leave mfp on sedentary and leave the fitbit on as I do now and just change mfp to maintenence and keep tracking as I get more active. Any feedback is appreciated.

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Regarding calorie intake, maintenance level or slightly above. Your body needs the calories to repair itself post surgery. Follow your doctor's protocol regarding recovery. Be patient. Walking should be fine, but they may tell you to wait six weeks before resuming strength training. When you start training again ease back into your routine. You'll be back to your previous level of fitness in no time.

Good job on the weight loss. I had an inguinal hernia repair about five years ago. I've continued to get stronger, it hasn't slowed me down.
  • mikelombardo078
    mikelombardo078 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks Bigguy47.
  • lisamarielois
    lisamarielois Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had an inguinal hernia operation on March 9th and I'm pretty much feeling back to normal now. I was up and about walking pretty quickly but it took me a few weeks before I was comfortable running again. I ran a half marathon the week before the op and for the last couple of weeks have been slowly easing myself back into running, about 5km 3x a week at the moment. Just listen to your body and if starts hurting stop what you are doing! I'm not trying to lose so ate at maintenance or slightly over for a couple of weeks after the op. Hope it goes well.
  • mikelombardo078
    Options
    Well I'm 2 weeks in and did my first 2 mile semi power walk today and it felt good but I actually got a little winded. Is this normal for just 2 weeks on being less active? I would never get winded on 2 miles. Anyway I seem to be recovering good. I have my post op appointment in 2 days. Can't wait to get back into a little strength training.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 2 weeks in and did my first 2 mile semi power walk today and it felt good but I actually got a little winded. Is this normal for just 2 weeks on being less active? I would never get winded on 2 miles. Anyway I seem to be recovering good. I have my post op appointment in 2 days. Can't wait to get back into a little strength training.

As long as you didn't feel significantly short of breath (which could be a sign of a post op complication pulmonary embolism) probably normal. You're body is focused on healing from the surgery so other areas might take a back burner.
  • mikelombardo078
    Options
    How long did your abdomen stay puffy? My stomach still feels and looks swollen 2 weeks in. Possibly the inside of abdomen?