Afraid to fall off the wagon

Options
When Im on a mission to get healthy, I usually am pretty on top of it. Until Im not. Without fail, every attempt over the years, I will be great great great then something happens, maybe I miss a day working out and it morphs into three and before you know it Im back to "whatever, Im tired of this, dont care," or something like that and all my attempts go out the window.

Last summer I lost 20 pounds by working out and eating clean. I was really proud of myself. Then one day all motivation fled me. Within a month, I gained everything back because I went back to my old habits. And I did not care. That was the scary part. I was so good and I dont understand how that "i dont care" feeling crept up on me. I was happy with the changes in my body. But once that moment came I couldnt seem to find my motivation again.

Now I am on my weight loss journey again and Im kindof scared of that moment where I toss up my hands and say "screw it!" Anyone have advice in kicking that apathetic moment in the butt and geting over it when it does come?

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Try making small changes instead of completely altering your entire diet and fitness routine. Don't cut anything out of your diet that you can't live without for the rest of your life.
  • Refined_by_Fire
    Refined_by_Fire Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree. Start with small changes. Food portion. Eat everything in moderation first and don't stress on cutting out food. Stress leads to over-eating. This is how I started. Water is good. It fills you up. Add me if you want and we can support each other.:smile:
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Pray to Lillith, she will help you :)
    J/k.
    Don't put a negative spin on it. Go with it. Good luck.
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I understand. I did the same thing. Last year I lost over 25 pounds and then I gained it all back. So here I am exactly one year later and finally committing to starting all over again.
  • DoctorCheeba
    Options
    Try making small changes instead of completely altering your entire diet and fitness routine. Don't cut anything out of your diet that you can't live without for the rest of your life.

This!

Think of it as a lifestyle change, not a diet. Baby steps.
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    As someone who struggles making this a lifestyle as well- I think you have to go to the why you are here question, and work from who you are, rather than make a radical change.

so for me:
    - Why do i do this? to be a good example for my children, to wear pretty clothes, to not get puffed out doing simple things, to not put on more weight from giving up smoking/menopause etc etc

- What do I eat? I like food. I eat pretty much anything except something that gives me IBS/bloating- I've just cut down the quantities, & looked at how it's prepared...so last night, I ate lasagna- i took off half the top (the bechamel sauce bit) and it didn't make any difference to the taste.

- What does exercise really do? it helps me build muscle and stops me from getting puffed out too easily

- Why drink water, rather than softdrink? soft drink is not good for teeth, water is great for skin elasticity (LOL I'm vain as)