Weight loss with weight lifting

So I have a question that I'm sure has probably been asked on this thread: which program should I use (Starting Strength vs nrolfw vs Strong Curves vs StrongLifts 5x5 vs Thinner, Leaner, Stronger, etc.) I am a beginner and have lots of weight to lose. I also am dealing with some low back pain, which is new. I will eat at a deficit for weight loss, but I also want to build muscle (if that is possible on a deficit). What do you guys think?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Whatever one you like better and/or have the equipment for.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    I assume you mean you want to look a bit more muscular and toned, not that you actually want to bulk up and get bigger, yes? If so, any good strength program will do that. New Rules of Lifting for Life is a good choice for beginners. I would not start with Starting Strength, although that might be an option in 6-12 months, when you can handle a 45 lb. barbell easier. Another option is to hire a good trainer and get a program customized for your abilities & limitations. :+1:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,315 Member
    It depends on how strong you are at this point. If you can handle a 45 pound Olympic bar with good form, I would say Stronglifts/Starting Strength. If you cannot handle that with good form and don't have lighter bars you can start with, something like NRFL would be a place to start.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Agreed.

Any established program for beginners is going to be centered around the same movements and you'll be doing the same exercises (or variations on exercises.) They differ in frequency, sets, and reps. Find one that appeals to you and lift away.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    I started with stronglifts because it was the simplest. Only 5 lifts to learn.

But any will do you good. You will probably see some newbie gains. Normally you don't build muscle on a deficit, but it helps prevent muscle loss and will help shape your body!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    I agree. Stronglifts is the simplest. I don't always have the right equipment to follow other programs.
  • 1LonelyRose
    1LonelyRose Posts: 48 Member
    Luna3386 wrote: »

But any will do you good. You will probably see some newbie gains. Normally you don't build muscle on a deficit, but it helps prevent muscle loss and will help shape your body!

Muscle gain comes even in a caloric deficit. The key is to increase the protein, it works for me. I have lost 41lbs since January, and have increased my biceps, triceps and all areas of my legs. I eat no less than 70 to 100 grams of protein daily and I do cardio and lift Monday through friday alternating cardio, legs, butt and gut and cardio, arms, chest, back and gut. Can anyone tell me how to bulk up my Booty? I seem to be loosing major Butt and I know it's just fat but, I do squats , deadlifts ect. But I can't seem to get my booty back. Any suggestions?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited May 2017

Yeah, this. But, just about all good programs have the disclaimer about ensuring your doctor(s) OK you for strength training. Many people are fine without approval. But, since you said you have new back pain, it's a really good idea in your case to get checked out, just to make sure you're ok.

edited for punctuation
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

Muscle gain comes even in a caloric deficit. The key is to increase the protein, it works for me. I have lost 41lbs since January, and have increased my biceps, triceps and all areas of my legs. I eat no less than 70 to 100 grams of protein daily and I do cardio and lift Monday through friday alternating cardio, legs, butt and gut and cardio, arms, chest, back and gut. Can anyone tell me how to bulk up my Booty? I seem to be loosing major Butt and I know it's just fat but, I do squats , deadlifts ect. But I can't seem to get my booty back. Any suggestions?

If you are in a deficit you won't build much size but retain it. A program like Strong Curves with emphasis on the glutes will help. If you want it to grow you have to eat at least at maintenance.. so if you are closer to goal or at goal recomposition is something to look into.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member

And there's your answer.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member

another vote for this.
  • 1LonelyRose
    1LonelyRose Posts: 48 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »

If you are in a deficit you won't build much size but retain it. A program like Strong Curves with emphasis on the glutes will help. If you want it to grow you have to eat at least at maintenance.. so if you are closer to goal or at goal recomposition is something to look into.

thanks for the strong curves info. It's very insightful. I am about 40 to 50 pounds away from my goal weight so I will have to stay in a deficit for now. But I would like to retain what I have but the problem is my behind seems to be mostly fat but if I press deep enough I feel a firm muscle underneath the fat. I'm looking into strong curves thanks again.