Fad diets

Options
Tonight my bff and I were discussing our weight loss journeys. I started the telemove program at the VA on Oct 31, 2012 and lost 10 lbs by Jan 6, 2013 when I found the my fitness pal app. I have since lost 40 lbs. She has tried almost every fad diet out there and is now on the HCG diet. She says she eats 500 calories a day and is losing an avg.of 1 lb a day. This scares me because she is not eating enough calories to maintain her body properly. Any thoughts on how to get through to her? I have a degree in Alternative Meddicine and have had classes in nutrition but she just won't listen to me or her mother.

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Search for HCG in the forums. There are countless posts from people who tried it and either got very sick, damaged their metabolism or gained all of the weight (and often more) back when they came off the diet. If she won't listen to science, maybe she'll listen to people who tried it and saw first-hand that it didn't work and isn't safe.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    She'll listen when hair starts falling out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition