Shopping for clothes as an older Male

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I only have a couple of suits/pants/sport jackets that are tailored for work...I wear them pretty rarely as we are mostly business casual...I only really wear them when we're doing interviews or I have to be at a really important meeting with legislatures, etc.

I'm pretty simple when it comes to my attire outside of the office...I'm not super into fashion or anything...usually shorts and a t-shirt in the summer and jeans and long sleeve t-shirt or sweat shirt in the winter...I usually kinda look like I'm going to go to the beach or bbq pool party or something.

I have a couple of friends who are pretty buttoned down wherever they go and wear a lot of tailored stuff and dress shoes with their $200 jeans and whatnot, but that doesn't suit my personality in the least.
  • kevinf2380
    kevinf2380 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Mid 50s here, I buy a variety of polo shirts, a couple of pair of Jeans, some khakis and a few pair of dress pants. Forget tailoring, forget the expense. Simple easy and timeless. I have dress shirts that are ages old, but since I don't have to wear a suit to work anymore I only break them out when I need to wear a suit.

That's basically where I'm at. Simple and easy. I guess the metrosexual young guys I work with were starting to get to me. I have these Ralph Lauren model looking guys around me most days and I feel like a slob next to them. haha
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Retirement goals

brokenflowers.png
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    look in a magazine/fashion stuff at models that are your shape and size, decide if it's appropriate for your age (or not if you don't care), buy similar styled stuff and find what you like/feel comfy in.

When you get used to what works for you and have enough variety in your wardrobe it's damn easy.
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I just do the Gomez Addams thing. I never worry about what I'm wearing because I'm always wearing my best suite.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    As a woman in my late 30's, I've found I have no desire to keep up with the latest trends, thereby necessitating replacing or at least updating a large portion of my wardrobe every year, any more. I'd assume it's much the same for men. Buy classic, timeless styles that suit your frame (and budget) that you are comfortable in. When your buddies are looking back at pictures of themselves in skinny jeans and cringing in a few years, you can just laugh :lol:
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    As a woman in my late 30's, I've found I have no desire to keep up with the latest trends, thereby necessitating replacing or at least updating a large portion of my wardrobe every year, any more. I'd assume it's much the same for men. Buy classic, timeless styles that suit your frame (and budget) that you are comfortable in. When your buddies are looking back at pictures of themselves in skinny jeans and cringing in a few years, you can just laugh :lol:

I think adding something fashionable each season or at least each year is fun. :) I don't find I need to change up my whole closet or anything. It could be a couple of exchangeable pieces on a background of the same basic blouses, jeans, skirts or whatever.

So for example, I had an infinity scarf year... :) I probably have four of these and the most I paid for any was probably $12. I think two of them were like $4 each or something. That was a lot...I could have gotten by with two, maybe, to switch looks up because you switch the scarfs with different colored tops you already have in your closet...that sort of thing. And I had a shrugs year, I bought three very inexpensive half-jacket dealios, the lacey ones...it's not hard to update your look (if you want to; wanting to change one's look to whatever is new is not a requirement). Then I have two long-ish fringey long jackets, the crocheted-looking things, know what I'm talking about? All these purchases together might have totaled $100 and that's over the space of I think four years. Not a huge investment.

There's nothing wrong with not wanting to update and/or with thinking certain new styles are stupid (so do I, at any given time, and hell no, I don't buy trendy just to be trendy if I hate the thing) but at the same time, there's nothing wrong with wanting to update either. :) Nor does it have to be a giant cash drain. JME.

FTR, I love it when a guy looks nice...not ridiculous, not suited up from Armani or anything but...like he gives a hoot. Of course, it's his body, he can dress it as he likes, but that's my input, personally. And that's a guy of any age. :)
  • pinuplove
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

I think adding something fashionable each season or at least each year is fun. :) I don't find I need to change up my whole closet or anything. It could be a couple of exchangeable pieces on a background of the same basic blouses, jeans, skirts or whatever.

So for example, I had an infinity scarf year... :) I probably have four of these and the most I paid for any was probably $12. I think two of them were like $4 each or something. That was a lot...I could have gotten by with two, maybe, to switch looks up because you switch the scarfs with different colored tops you already have in your closet...that sort of thing. And I had a shrugs year, I bought three very inexpensive half-jacket dealios, the lacey ones...it's not hard to update your look (if you want to; wanting to change one's look to whatever is new is not a requirement). Then I have two long-ish fringey long jackets, the crocheted-looking things, know what I'm talking about? All these purchases together might have totaled $100 and that's over the space of I think four years. Not a huge investment.

There's nothing wrong with not wanting to update and/or with thinking certain new styles are stupid (so do I, at any given time, and hell no, I don't buy trendy just to be trendy if I hate the thing) but at the same time, there's nothing wrong with wanting to update either. :) Nor does it have to be a giant cash drain. JME.

I was going to say something about accessorizing with current trends, but then thought 'guy....nevermind' :lol: You're absolutely correct though!
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    If you ensure that whatever clothes you get actually fit you, you're ahead of 95% of men
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

I was going to say something about accessorizing with current trends, but then thought 'guy....nevermind' :lol: You're absolutely correct though!

Oh, right...guy...

Hmm. Okay, so...say, that slightly fitted to the waist look, I posted a business shirt like that; there are also short sleeved or 3/4 shirts in that style. A guy could buy three of them on the cheap and bam, cute new look.

Or a newer updated haircut. Grab one at an old school style barber for $15 or $20...voila...

Better jeans: buy 2, rotation wear them (I actually do this, LOL)...

• Hungry_Angler
    Hungry_Angler Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    The key to success (besides a big penis) is to match your polo to color of your crocs.
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    quit making it complicated and dress your age

Which means what? LOL.

I mean within reason. I'm sure there are some literally "school-age" specific fashions...maybe more for girls than for boys...but yes, a 40-year-old man in a backward cap looks (just like his younger version, except even more seriously) un-sleep-with-worthy and just overall horrendous.

But I mean...what's dressing a 40-year-old man's age? It's not the 70s. The dads don't have to wear Hawaiian shirts and plaid pants and give it all over to seersucker in defeat anymore.

40-year-old dudes around here wear jeans...or slacks...cute shirts...or knockaround Ts...surfer shirts at any age...I don't know...I don't see a big distinction anymore in age "dressing" like in the old days...we aren't all forced to look downright ugly just because we passed a certain milestone. :D
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    MrStabbems wrote: »
    look in a magazine/fashion stuff at models that are your shape and size, decide if it's appropriate for your age (or not if you don't care), buy similar styled stuff and find what you like/feel comfy in.

When you get used to what works for you and have enough variety in your wardrobe it's damn easy.

For the love of all that is good, don't emulate a "fashion magazine" They will dress you in clothes that might be okay in a very trendy city and will cost more than a damn good trolling motor for a pair of shoes :).

• Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Look at someone your age that expresses the same image you would like to express. Maybe a friend. Someone on TV? Anybody that is about your size, age, etc. I always think to myself..'Dress to express..not to impress'..therefore my hippie style. lol

• kevinf2380
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I don't get the high sleeve shirts and tight collars. Even guys with no muscle tone wear them. Is showing upper arm and buttoning the collar so tight it moves when you swallow sexy?
  • kevinf2380
    Options

What does dress your age mean to you?
  • pinuplove
    Options
    kevinf2380 wrote: »

What does dress your age mean to you?

I'm guessing not this:
    3dx16pf6kcvv.jpg
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Some questions to consider:

Pleated / Flat front:

https://www.josbank.com/dress-pants-details (also works for chinos / Dockers)

Bermuda shorts: Yes (see above)

Belts: (Yes should coordinate with shoes or be brown or black casual leather) EXCEPT black belt for black or gray or dark navy

Golf shirt / Pol shirt / buttoned shirt:

https://effortlessgent.com/back-to-basics-the-difference-between-a-dress-shirt-and-a-sport-shirt/
    https://www.inkhead.com/kb/difference-between-golf-shirts-polo-shirts/

If your arms are nice looking - show them off.

Socks: Yes / No

Which shoes can you wear without socks? Docksiders, loafers, canvas slip ons, flip flops

What are you going to be doing? Going out to dinner, sitting on a veranda, visiting friends? Your shoes should match the occasion.

Jeans: Classic or trendy (depends on your age and your butt); unless you are under 30 or a aging rock star don't get black ones or very dark navy ones

Go with classic colors for socks and pants, accent shirts should match / coordinate the fleck colors in your eyes.

For example:

If you have brown eyes, you likely have gold tones in your eyes.

Medium Blue Dockers with a light yellow shirt would look great.

If you have Blue eyes, you likely have green, gray, tones in your eyes

Light Gray Dockers with a button down with light background plaid with some green / blue in it.

Lastly - get cotton socks don't get poly

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Options
    Don't wear shirts with writing or text or large logos on them.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Dress as your wife wishes. It's a free country for women.