Lose fat but build muscle...?

Is it possible? Not a lot of muscle but more for toning. I'm trying to stay lower in calories but up my protein intake so I can lose fat and build muscle. I do both cardio and strength training. Is this even right? Lol sorry I just am so clueless

Replies

• Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    It depends on several factors but if you have to ask, the answer is yes. It is just more difficult.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    You might be able to achieve newbie gains if strength training is new to you, but that's minimal. Don't let that keep you from lifting, though, as it helps you maintain muscle as you lose.
  • taylormoooon
    taylormoooon Posts: 130 Member
    edited May 2017
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You might be able to achieve newbie gains if strength training is new to you, but that's minimal. Don't let that keep you from lifting, though, as it helps you maintain muscle as you lose.

Yep, newbie gains are a thing!

I think that you should probably just start a lifting routine like 5x5 stronglifts and do a cut. If you haven't already, figure out your calories and macros from somewhere like: https://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

The strength training and eating your correct macros (especially protein) will help you maintain muscle and your calorie deficit will help you lose fat. If you want to be more toned after losing fat, then do a slow bulk by continuing to lift and increasing weight gradually. You'll definitely want to be weighing out your food as well.

Check out the "HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!" thread in success stories. It's super inspiring!!