Does protein make you gain weight?

I typically eat a lot of protein in one servings my protein cookies quest bars etc but I do not lift... will this cause me to gain fat weight other than muscle weight? Does this make sense? I do a lot of HIIT workouts

Replies

• missdelainie
    missdelainie Posts: 75 Member
    Thank you I understand now so as long as I for it in my macros I'm good to go but choosing a high protein item other than a high sugar item better?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    As long as you are not going over your calorie goal, it really don't matter for weight loss what your macros are. Different macros might help you stick to your calorie goal.
  • missdelainie
    missdelainie Posts: 75 Member
    But eating 20g of protein other than 20g of sugar is better for you right? Or will it not make a difference in my body?
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    But eating 20g of protein other than 20g of sugar is better for you right? Or will it not make a difference in my body?

In what way? If you are short on protein for the day then the protein bar would be better, but if you aren't it's not going to make a difference.
  • 1LonelyRose
    1LonelyRose Posts: 48 Member
    janjunie wrote: »

In what way? If you are short on protein for the day then the protein bar would be better, but if you aren't it's not going to make a difference.

Well, protein is better for the body when compared to sugar. The body will metabolize protein more effectively than sugar unless there is an underlying illness.
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    If you eat alot of protein it can but so can eating alot of carbs and fat
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Depends what you're going for. Sugar can give you a quick burst of energy. Protein helps you maintain muscle. To lose weight, the only thing that matters is calorie deficit. For nutrition, you need to look at hitting your macros (protein, carbs, fat) and micros (vitamins, minerals, etc.) If you're already hitting your daily recommended protein and you want a sugary treat, and it fits your calories, there's nothing wrong with it.

I usually snack on veggie dogs, string cheese, dry cereal, and popcorn. BUT I made chocolate truffles this week. 20 truffles at 82 calories each. I made room for one a day (served the rest to company and hubby finished the last today), I enjoyed them and for the rest? Mostly nutrient-dense foods.

Really, there are no 'good' or 'bad' foods*. There are 'healthy' and 'unhealthy' diets. Having one truffle at 82 calories is fine. Using all your daily calories on truffles? Not so much. But even if you do, you will lose weight. Google 'twinkie diet' if you want proof. Obligatory caveat: I am not recommending the Twinkie diet.

*Unless you have a food allergy, intolerance, or other restriction. My sister is deathly allergic to fish. That makes it bad for her.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member

Well, protein is better for the body when compared to sugar. The body will metabolize protein more effectively than sugar unless there is an underlying illness.

Your body only needs so much protein. Excess protein will do nothing extra for your body, it just turns into sugar anyways. Protein is more satiating, so for some people protein would be the better choice, but it's a personal preference.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,155 Member

This is a bit of a pet peeve. Something being more desirable for a specific purpose does not make it "better" in the abstract.

Between fats, carbs (including sugar), and protein, it is protein that has the longest path and highest cost of being converted to usable energy.

So I would expect one to argue that it metabolises the least effectively.

Whether that by itself makes it better for one's body... better for what purpose?

Again I point out to the op who wants confirmation that sugar is evil and protein good that for the purpose of weigh loss an appropriate caloric balance such that they achieve a ~10% to ~25% deficit is the only thing that is important.

Their macro balance may or may not help them achieve that deficit, but worrying about the macro balance first is putting the cart in front of the horse.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited May 2017
    I eat a lot of protein too, i just naturally gravitate toward higher protein foods. Yesterday i had a little over 200g . On those higher protein days i am less snacky and i don't get annoying cravings. It hasn't affected my weight loss at all, eating too many calories of all the nacros/foods is the only thing that can do that.
    I don't lift weights either.

How much protein are you averaging?
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    How much protein @missdelainie ?
    Too much won't hurt. It will help you not lose muscle and can help you feel full.

You only will gain weight if you eat more than your maintenance calories.

You could eat all sugar and still lose weight if you are in a deficit. But would that help you nourish your body? Does it help you feel good?

The best way of eating is a balanced diet of all macronutrients.
  • 1LonelyRose
    PAV8888 wrote: »

This is a bit of a pet peeve. Something being more desirable for a specific purpose does not make it "better" in the abstract.

Between fats, carbs (including sugar), and protein, it is protein that has the longest path and highest cost of being converted to usable energy.

Whether that by itself makes it better for one's body... better for what purpose?

Again I point out to the op who wants confirmation that sugar is evil and protein good that for the purpose of weigh loss an appropriate caloric balance such that they achieve a ~10% to ~25% deficit is the only thing that is important.

Their macro balance may or may not help them achieve that deficit, but worrying about the macro balance first is putting the cart in front of the horse.

with that being said, what nutritional benefits does sugar actually have when someone is trying to lose weight? Because I am well aware of the benefits of protein satiety, muscle repair the list goes on, now sugar does what exactly for weight loss?

• 1LonelyRose

Your body only needs so much protein. Excess protein will do nothing extra for your body, it just turns into sugar anyways. Protein is more satiating, so for some people protein would be the better choice, but it's a personal preference.

Protein turns into sugar you say?...you sure about that? Because that is absolutely not the case. You may be confusing protein for carbohydrates friend. I'm not making this up, please investigate.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member

Protein turns into sugar you say?...you sure about that? Because that is absolutely not the case. You may be confusing protein for carbohydrates friend. I'm not making this up, please investigate.

Not trying to be snarky here, but if you know it's "absolutely not the case" and then tell the claimer to investigate, how does that help the forum readers here? If you are not making this up, please share.

I mean this respectfully. If you doubt the poster's claim and don't have an answer, it's fair for you to ask to have them to back their claim up. If you have knowledge that would back up your own counter-assertion, don't you think it would be fair for you to share that?
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member

Are you absolutely sure that isn't the case? Please investigate before making such claims.

https://bodyecology.com/articles/low-carbohydrate-dieters-beware-of-high-protein-intake

"When the body needs to raise its levels of blood sugar, it turns to liver. This is because the liver has the ability to convert the amino acids that are found in protein into sugar. This process is called gluconeogenesis.

An excess amount of protein may be turned into sugar to feed systemic infections in the body and lead to autoimmune diseases. Much research is now centered on how diabetes may start in the gut."
  • 1LonelyRose
    bagge72 wrote: »

Are you absolutely sure that isn't the case? Please investigate before making such claims.

https://bodyecology.com/articles/low-carbohydrate-dieters-beware-of-high-protein-intake

"When the body needs to raise its levels of blood sugar, it turns to liver. This is because the liver has the ability to convert the amino acids that are found in protein into sugar. This process is called gluconeogenesis.

An excess amount of protein may be turned into sugar to feed systemic infections in the body and lead to autoimmune diseases. Much research is now centered on how diabetes may start in the gut."

I stand corrected. Very I'm formative information you provided. Very much appreciated.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »

with that being said, what nutritional benefits does sugar actually have when someone is trying to lose weight? Because I am well aware of the benefits of protein satiety, muscle repair the list goes on, now sugar does what exactly for weight loss?

Who gets their nutrition from sugar and what does that have to do with OP????

Sugar has nothing to do with weight loss or gain, just like protein; what matters is overall calorie consumption....