Purposely setting daily calorie goal to maintenance?

Options
KM0692
KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I cannot stick with any diet longer than a few days. :( I am wondering if I set my daily calorie goal to maintenance, if this would somehow help 'psychologically' in terms of not feeling restricted/deprived with the lower number. Has anyone here done this?

Replies

• cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have not done this myself, but I have seen it discussed here on MFP. General consensus seems to be that you will lose weight but it will be slow, and as you get closer to goal, even slower. You could try it and see how it goes. You could always reduce your calories later on if you wanted.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    KM0692 wrote: »
    I cannot stick with any diet longer than a few days. :( I am wondering if I set my daily calorie goal to maintenance, if this would somehow help 'psychologically' in terms of not feeling restricted/deprived with the lower number. Has anyone here done this?

What is it that you are doing that makes you give up? Often this happens because people feel like they need to make drastic changes, which, as you've said, leads to feeling deprived. Obviously, good nutrition is necessary for overall health, but for weight loss all that's required is a calorie deficit. You don't need to cut things out, just reduce them (either frequency or portion size).
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I took a diet break when I visited my parents at Passover. I didn't think I'd be able to stick to a weight-loss plan when most of my protein sources were going to be off-limits. (I'm vegetarian. At Passover, in addition to no bread, we also don't eat beans, lentils, most grains, or soy. For eight days my protein was coming from eggs, cheese, nuts, and quinoa and my main carbs were potatoes and matzo. While weight-loss IS doable with those restrictions, I find that my satiety levels usually take a big hit, likely due to reduced fiber.) So I set my goals to maintenance and actually did lose, due to being more active than anticipated and coming in a little under the calorie limit.

I haven't tried doing it longterm though.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    aim_3 wrote: »
    I have not done this myself, but I have seen it discussed here on MFP. General consensus seems to be that you will lose weight but it will be slow, and as you get closer to goal, even slower. You could try it and see how it goes. You could always reduce your calories later on if you wanted.

I think they mean taking a break from losing. If that's the case, try and see. Weight loss is a stress on the body, not just the mind. Taking some time to recoup could be helpful.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Are you setting it to maintenance at your current weight? Like, as in a mini deficit break? If so, then, yes I have days I eat at maintenance at my current weight just because I want to...then I get back to a deficit and things track downward from that point. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options

By maintenance, do you mean to maintain your current weight, or what would be maintenance at your goal weight, which is also known as reverse dieting?

Lots of times people join MFP and struggle because they pick the two pounds per week goal, which is too aggressive unless you have around 100+ pounds to lose. How many pounds to your goal weight?
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    aim_3 wrote: »

I think they mean taking a break from losing. If that's the case, try and see. Weight loss is a stress on the body, not just the mind. Taking some time to recoup could be helpful.

Oh, well if that's what you were asking, OP, just disregard my reply.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

My goal is currently set to my current maintenance and then I eat at a 400-600 calorie deficit daily. It works for me psychologically to have a bit of a looser goal and if I do go over my planned calories, I know where I stand in terms of maintenance and little overages don't look so bad. It's going to be very personal whether or not something like this works for you, so just try it and see.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have my goal set at maintenance currently, and have had it set at ~150 calories below maintenance for a long time. My actual desired rate of loss is more like half a pound a week.

When my brain gets grumpy with the plan, I try to change it up. Different things work for different people at different times.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Depending how much you've got left to lose, you could set your calories to goal weight maintenance.
    Or if you want a buffer, set them to your current maintenance calories, so you dont panic if you go over your deficit.
    If doing the latter, don't fall into the trap of saying F it, the calories are there i may as well use them... If you know what i mean?
  • KM0692
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thanks everyone. And to those who asked...yes, I have my maintenance calories set to my current weight (maintaining my current weight).
  • KM0692
    Options
    Depending how much you've got left to lose, you could set your calories to goal weight maintenance.
    Or if you want a buffer, set them to your current maintenance calories, so you dont panic if you go over your deficit.
    If doing the latter, don't fall into the trap of saying F it, the calories are there i may as well use them... If you know what i mean?

Good point!
  • c_ward1983
    c_ward1983 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble start at just maintaining your current weight. Lets say like 2500 calories (just a random number). Make sure you are eating within your current maintenance. Then next week take it back by 100 calories and do a week at 2400 then 2300, 2200, 2100 etc...

Step it back to your goal deficit. You might find the initial jump from 2500 to 1600 too drastic, but if you do it week by week you'll find cutting out things easier and you'll have time to find some new foods to replace the ones you're going without.
  • KM0692
    Options
    c_ward1983 wrote: »
    If you are having trouble start at just maintaining your current weight. Lets say like 2500 calories (just a random number). Make sure you are eating within your current maintenance. Then next week take it back by 100 calories and do a week at 2400 then 2300, 2200, 2100 etc...

Step it back to your goal deficit. You might find the initial jump from 2500 to 1600 too drastic, but if you do it week by week you'll find cutting out things easier and you'll have time to find some new foods to replace the ones you're going without.

I never thought about doing it like that. Thank you!