Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

EXPECTATIONS: PERSONAL TRAINOR

So we have been going to gym and just today we , my bestfriend and me got a trainor and we are going to start tomorrow... Any thing that i should expect?

Replies

• kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Don't expect to do much your first time. Your trainer will need to use almost a whole session to understand you and your goals before they start setting you any exercise.
    You should also set your expectations out for them - do you want friendly encouragement or someone to"shout"at you? Do you want them to help with weights or cardio or both?
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Don't be afraid to speak up about what you want, what you're happy with or not happy with.

I used a personal trainer briefly. I liked him at first, but after a couple of sessions, I was really unhappy with the exercises he had me doing, what he had me focusing on, and the intensity of the type of exercises. I didn't speak up...I just quit using him which really wasn't fair to him. I have some pretty serious health issues that were exacerbated by what we were doing and then wasn't able to exercise at all for about 4 months afterward. I could have avoided all that by communicating better.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Your first session and maybe your first few will be more about establishing your goals and the trainer assessing your abilities/flexibility/mobility, etc so that they know what to work on. After that you will be thrashed...
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    make sure you clearly understand their expectations and how they merge with yours

@gebeziseva is right on the dietary advice - something I learnt yesterday - they are not allowed to give nutritional/dietary advice and can risk losing their certification
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Do NOT take dietary advice from them. Their job is to teach you how to exercise, not tell you what to eat. Dietary advice comes from a dietitian.
  • cwolfman13
    make sure you clearly understand their expectations and how they merge with yours

@gebeziseva is right on the dietary advice - something I learnt yesterday - they are not allowed to give nutritional/dietary advice and can risk losing their certification

This actually depends on what state you live in.

http://www.nutritionadvocacy.org/laws-state

But in general I agree to be wary of nutritional advice from a trainer. I take nutritional advice from mine, but he has a masters in nutrition and he's not just throwing around a bunch of bro-science and woo at me.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    It depends if it's a good trainer or bad trainer. Here's how to tell the difference:
    dailyburn.com/life/fitness/personal-trainer-break-up-signs/

Let us know how it went :+1:
  • deannalfisher
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

But in general I agree to be wary of nutritional advice from a trainer. I take nutritional advice from mine, but he has a masters in nutrition and he's not just throwing around a bunch of bro-science and woo at me.

I looked through several states and none of them had guidance on personal trainers and nutrition - the color coding was for dieticians/nutritionist specifically.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    @ninerbuff care to weigh in?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I looked through several states and none of them had guidance on personal trainers and nutrition - the color coding was for dieticians/nutritionist specifically.

Green states, all can do it...any Joe Schmoe can do it. If you click on AZ for example, they have no laws in regards to dietetics, etc and if you scroll down and click on personal trainer is just say that they can't in orange and red states.

I'm in NM and the only difference is that RD are the only one's recognized by the state, but others aren't prohibited from giving dietary advice. All of the PTs I know here give meal plans, etc and I haven't seen anyone go to jail or get shut down.
  • deannalfisher
    I may also depend on what their certification body says - those tend to be more specific on legalities (having written professional certifications before and policy documents associated with)