Any diabetics doing tabata?

Options
rheddmobile
rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
Recently diagnosed diabetic, trying to improve my health by working out and losing weight. Currently taking metformin and glimeperide (was able to cut glimeperide in half, hoping to get off it completely).

So, I've been doing a variety of different strength and cardio workouts, walking, etc., but my thing I can rely on every day rain or shine is my stationary bike. Doing HIIT for 15 minutes, working up to 5 intervals of 2 minutes moderate, 1 minute hard. Recently after hitting a diet plateau I decided to try Tabata cycling and thought that after having done intervals for a while it would be pretty easy. Haha! It absolutely cooked me! But it did seem to work on my metabolism, I started losing weight again right away.

Here's the thing - normally in the mornings, the glimeperide makes my bg spike with breakfast - about 130 - 150 at 1 hr - and then rapidly drop - about 80 at 2 hrs, when I generally eat a small snack to keep it from dropping lower. I've played around with various breakfasts and about 45g complex carbs (plus protein, etc) such as a quinoa bowl with black beans seems to make things most stable. The morning after tabata it peaked at 104, then dropped to 72 at 1 hr and a half! Same breakfast. Day 2, peaked at 100 and I went ahead and ate something before it had a chance to drop as low as day 1. Resting bg later in the day seems to be hovering around 90. I know lots of exercise can affect bg the next day, but nothing else has had this big impact.

Anyone out there with experience with tabata and diabetes? Did it do the same for you? Does it continue to have the same effect long term, or does your body eventually get used to it and stop reacting as strongly?