Stronglfts 5x5 confusion

Options
Please tell me if I am missing something. Isn't it just 5 reps of 5 for 3 exercises? Seems like you'd whip that out in 10 minutes. I just don't get it. Help!

Replies

• FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    No, it's 5 sets of 5, so 25 reps total per exercise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    5 sets of 5 and it's a heavy strength program...when the weight is heavy, you need more rest to complete to next set.
  • dad_loosbrock
    dad_loosbrock Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm just looking to lose weight. And they say strength training helps.
  • FatWithFatness
    Options
    No, it's 5 sets of 5, so 25 reps total per exercise.

No, you only do three each day. Day one is squats, bench, and row, day two is squats, deads, and OHP.

Edit: I may be mistaken--it looks like he may have refined the program to add some accessory work.

Even if you did one compound lift per day 5x5 is still 25.
  • FatWithFatness
    Options

It absolutely does.
  • dad_loosbrock
    Options
    I meant 5 sets of 5 reps. My brain didn't send the correct typing signals to my fingers.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    It looks easy and starts easy, but it doesn't stay easy as you progress with weights.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    It is 5 WORKING sets of 5 reps, except deadlift which is only one set. At first it WILL go fast (20-30min) but as you build up weight you'll need to add in warm up sets, possibly 2-3 sets of reps with weights lower than your working weight. So if you working squat is 160lbs, you do one warm up set with just the bar, and a second with 115 pounds and then you move up to your 160. You might eventually be lifting for an hour or more.

And no, weight lifting does not help to lose weight by it's self. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Lifting weights does burn some calories but not nearly as much as say running for the same period of time. What weight lifting does is helps maintain muscle so that you lose mostly fat. General weight loss can be a combination of fat and MUSCLE. We do not want to lose muscle. It's really unhealthy. Muscle = healthy old people, functional strength, injury prevention, etc. It's also more aesthetically pleasing to maintain as much muscle as possible.
  • dad_loosbrock
    Options
    Thanks Rae. I'm a novice. Info helps!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

It absolutely does.

it doesn't help a tonne with weight loss...it helps maintain muscle as you lose mostly fat.

Yes you burn calories but the reason people lift is to maintain muscle.

Weight loss is all about what you eat and keeping your calories in lower than calories out.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Please tell me if I am missing something. Isn't it just 5 reps of 5 for 3 exercises? Seems like you'd whip that out in 10 minutes. I just don't get it. Help!

You will whip them out pretty fast at first...in my 9th month runnign the program I was lifting for up to 90 mins...because longer rests were required...at that point I switched to 3x5...so 15 reps per lift a day.
  • dad_loosbrock
    Options
    Thanks Stef (and all who have replied).
  • FatWithFatness
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

It absolutely does.

it doesn't help a tonne with weight loss...it helps maintain muscle as you lose mostly fat.

Yes you burn calories but the reason people lift is to maintain muscle.

Weight loss is all about what you eat and keeping your calories in lower than calories out.

To further clarify, it will help you change your body composition, as a untrained individual initially you will lose weight and gain muscle thereby decreasing your body fat percentage.

However, as others have said, you will need a proper diet and cardiovascular exercise in conjunction with this as your body becomes more efficient at the exercises and trained you will see diminished returns with regard to weight loss.