Ladies squat and deadlift?

Options
2»

Replies

• amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't we be comparing dumbbell colors instead?

Hot pink all the way. Oh wait, that's the color of the highlights in my hair. D'oh!

I started lifting about 6-7 mos ago. My highest squat tested was 170lb, about the same for deadlift.
  • merbear787
    merbear787 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just started lifting! Been at it about 8 months. I'm 5'10" and 27. Right now I can squat 155 lbs. I haven't tested my heaviest deadlift. Isn't there an estimate or something out there about the ratio for weights for deadlift versus squat? Love lifting by the way
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Wow, you ladies are awesome! I squat and deadlift 2 to 3 times per week and I have never tried to add so much weight to the bar. Maybe that's why I am not building my glutes as fast as I would like. I only squat with 50 including a twenty pound bar and I dead lift 70lbs. I feel like such a weakling. And I'm 40 btw.

37 and at the same weights as you.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Seriously? I'm 27 and I can barely lift 50-60lbs at all lol I don't even know 100% what deadlift means though or how to squat with weights that big... I almost injured myself doing 35lbs on a chest press and 100 on a leg press today - it was too heavy.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Seriously? I'm 27 and I can barely lift 50-60lbs at all lol I don't even know 100% what deadlift means though or how to squat with weights that big... I almost injured myself doing 35lbs on a chest press and 100 on a leg press today - it was too heavy.

How much you lift compared to other people is not important. *kitten*, I can not even touch the weights I used to lift 5 years ago.
    What's important is that you put 100% of yourself in every moment, lifting 50 or 500 lbs. Form is way more important than weight.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm 64 and love cross fit and dead lifts, squats, and cleans, etc. But I don't post my stats. I find the competition isn't good for me, because I loose my form, which can cause injury. (I'm really competitive in many parts of my life like work). At crossfit I focus on form, and I've seen a lot of improvement. Love the sound of weights hitting the floor!
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm 58, started powerlifting in October 2015. My current 1RM for squats is 210 lbs. and DL is 285 lbs. I'm 5' and weigh 138 lbs. I haven't tested my 1RM since my meet the end of March so I'm sure it's higher than those numbers
  • PowerliftingMom
    Options
    My heaviest squat right now is 125 LBs but I am prepping for a competition so I'm doing 4x12s right now, that weight will go up over the next couple of months as my reps come down. My heaviest deadlift was 200 LBs, one and only. I don't want to risk my back!!! I am 48.

Do you pull sumo or conventional? Sumo is less stressful for your back than conventional.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Wow! You ladies rock! I'm going to try for a little more weight...
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

I think this is my favorite post to ever exist on MFP.
    Also I'm really jealous of all you ladies with the big numbers for squat/DL. I've been doing this since October and am really struggling to get those numbers to increase at all :(
  • PowerliftingMom
    Options

I think this is my favorite post to ever exist on MFP.
    Also I'm really jealous of all you ladies with the big numbers for squat/DL. I've been doing this since October and am really struggling to get those numbers to increase at all :(

Make sure you are eating enough! I was cutting off and on for 18 months and it really made my lifts suffer. It wasn't until I started bulking that my numbers really increased. I increased my lifts in 5 meets from 500 lbs. to 600 lbs. in 9 months.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My heaviest squat right now is 125 LBs but I am prepping for a competition so I'm doing 4x12s right now, that weight will go up over the next couple of months as my reps come down. My heaviest deadlift was 200 LBs, one and only. I don't want to risk my back!!! I am 48.

I've had a herniated disk and sciatic nerve and pull over 300lbs, working up to 400lb. If you're not wearing a belt, get one, it helps to brace your core during the lift. Also do some core work, such as good mornings, glute/ham raises and good old sit ups. Also, more important than anything, make sure you're doing it correctly, the deadlift is harder than it looks, if you want to lift heavier, find someone to teach you the proper way to do it.
  • rslapine
    rslapine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    As a varsity athlete I used to squat 360 (as a max, most I did regularly was 320 in sets of 3), and deadlift was 240. Now that I don't have the same intensity of workouts, I swuat 115 for ATG, or 155 minimum for high reps, 185 for regular lifts. I do a lot more for hack squats, but that's different.

Deadlift I do 135 and work up to 185 at most, I've really lost my ability there.

That said, I have never injured myself lifting - as long as you take your time moving up in weights and have good form you'll be amazed at what your body can do!!