Another 5x5 question

Options
The exercises. Can I change them up to other stuff? Or just stick with the program? Just seems like it'd get monotonous.

Replies

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Stick with the program until you want to switch it up, then find something else.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Stick with the program. With all due respect, by asking this question, you don't know enough to go around changing things just because you want to.

BTW - if you want a little more variety, you could always try Ice Cream Fitness 5x5. It's like SL 5x5, but it has other (accessory) work, too. So probably less monotonous.

eta: Or, maybe a modification to the Practical Programming template of Starting Strength.

Modified Version:
    Mon: Squat, Bench, Chin/Pull-Ups*
    Wed: Squat, OHP, Deadlift
    Fri: Squat, Bench, Row
    Mon: Squat, OHP, Chin/Pull-Ups*
    Wed: Squat, Bench, Deadlift
    Fri: Squat, OHP, Row

* Chin/Pull-Ups are done for 3 sets of up to 15. When you can get 3x15xbodyweight, add weight.

Repeat above.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The increasing of weight keeps it interesting and challenging.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    The exercises. Can I change them up to other stuff? Or just stick with the program? Just seems like it'd get monotonous.

You can do what ever you want, but is that doing the program or doing something else. If you're doing 5x5 shouldn't you be doing 5x5? But if you change up 5x5, which you can, by all means, you're really not doing 5x5 but doing something else, which is perfectly OK. 5x5 does offer auxiliary lifts which you can add to their program. But, you needn't limit yourself to those, but, then, you may no longer be doing 5x5 but something else. Which, again, is OK.

So, sure, you can change them up to other stuff and then you're doing other stuff. Which is OK. There're are many programs, commercial, professional, amateur, or completely made up. Some work, some don't. Try it, you might like it. ;-)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Stick with the program or choose another program that is more to your liking...the whole point of that program is to get stronger on those lifts...it's basically an introduction to power lifting.

I personally find traditional strength programs like 5x5 pretty boring and monotonous so I don't really do them save for a cycle here and there when my trainer tells me to. I'm also not a huge proponent of living in any single rep range as a matter of general fitness unless you specifically need to train that way.
  • dad_loosbrock
    dad_loosbrock Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I would stick to the program until you stop seeing result from linear progression and then move on to something that fits your goals better at that time. You're new to lifting so it's important to build that strong base.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts, Starting Strength and other established programs are designed the way they are for a specific purpose. They should be performed as designed to reap the benefit of the program.

If you don't like the program as designed, don't do it.

Do whatever you like (whether it's based on the program or not). Just recognize that what you will be doing is NOT the program and shouldn't be referred to as such by saying something like: "I'm doing StrongLifts but I don't do "x" and replaced it with "y" because I like it better.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    Options
    OBTW, Mark Rippetoe's standard response to anyone who asks if they can do (or tells him that they are doing) "this or that" instead of what is specified in his program (Starting Strength) is: YNDTFP ("You're not doing the f.... ing program" and to just do the program as designed.

Just log onto the forum on his website to find numerous examples of this. Mark isn't known for his tact and diplomacy and it's amusing to read Mark's dismissive comments directed at those without any experience who think that they know how to design a strength development program better than he does.
  • mandabeth34
    mandabeth34 Posts: 158 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm thinking of starting StrongLifts to switch up my routine for the summer (currently 3 days of running and 2-3 days of circuit training classes or kickboxing). How long do 5x5 sessions take, done right?
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You are free to do whatever you like and, going against the grain here, boredom is one of the greatest enemies of gym attendance. Some guys can just go and go and go, doing the same things over and over and they are happy. But if you're bored you're going to skip workouts and not put maximum effort into them when you do make it. If you get to the point where you are bored it is time to change things up, either by moving to another program completely or by continuing with alternate versions of the basic lifts. 5x5 isn't magic or perfect, you can vary it and still get results. Don't be afraid, for example, to throw in some 3x8's with slightly lower weights or 3x3's with slightly higher weights. For a week or two, it's not going to hurt to do some leg press work instead of squats or dead lifts, some lat pulldowns instead of pull ups etc. The most successful program is the one you can stick to. Sometimes you need a little variety to keep it fresh. Don't be afraid to experiment. Remember, it's your workout.
    I'm thinking of starting StrongLifts to switch up my routine for the summer (currently 3 days of running and 2-3 days of circuit training classes or kickboxing). How long do 5x5 sessions take, done right?
    Done properly and without a lot of lollygagging is probably around 45 minutes. For me, including warm up, stretch, cool down and a shower, it's closing in on an hour and a half.

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Five sets of Five reps of three exercises.

How long does it take you to do 5 squats/overhead presses/bent over rows/bench presses/Dead lifts? <a minute?
    Rest 1.5 minutes between sets is 2 to 2.5 per set
    Five sets is 10-13 minutes per exercise
    Three exercises is 30 to 40 minutes tops plus warm up and cool down/stretching.
    Waiting time for the squat cage/ bench is extra ;-)