Running injury advice please

My first experience of a sporting injury.Whilst doing my half marathon training
my back went into a spasm.I was able to keep running when you are warm you don't realise
the damage until you cool down.
Now I am stuck at home when I should be running.I run five times a week approximate distance 50+miles

Replies

• ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    That happened to me once while I was on a treadmill taking in a breath. The pain subsided somewhat and I was able to finish my run, but it was sore for days.

I'm not sure what advice you're looking for exactly, but I'd say take it easy until you heal. Back injuries have a way of affecting our entire body (and running gait).

Another note: I am also training for a half marathon, and my training schedule has me doing 4 x per week, and no week is even close to 50 miles. Granted, I'm a beginner and you may be on a more rigorous training schedule, but you may want to cut back on the weekly mileage.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    My first experience of a sporting injury.Whilst doing my half marathon training
    my back went into a spasm.I was able to keep running when you are warm you don't realise
    the damage until you cool down.
    Now I am stuck at home when I should be running.I run five times a week approximate distance 50+miles

It's not clear what advice you're after, but I'd start with the suggestion that you see a Physio.

Your mileage does seem excessive for an HM plan.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    The best advice for muscle spasm is alternate heat & ice therapy., About 10 min each a few times. Begin & end with ice. This mimics the natural contractions of a muscle and helps to get it working again. Do this a few sessionses a day.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I would take an entire week of rest and if your back doesn't feel better, see a physical therapist as stated above. I also agree that 50+ mpw seems way excessive for a HM training plan. If you are running that mileage without having built up to it over a long period of time (I'm talking at least a year), then that is likely the source of your problem. You can successfully train for a HM on 30 miles per week, even if you are seeking a fast time.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Sorry to hear that. It's so frustrating when these things crop up. Hope it goes away as quickly as it appeared.

I'm no doctor, but have had lower back problems on and off for years.

Everyone seems to say to stay active, in other words, don't spend all your time lying on a bed waiting for it to get better. It appears that Advil is a good idea (presuming you have no problems with it). One person specifically recommended that I walk to loosen up my back, but I never found that to help much. Currently, I cross-train run/ride/swim, and I think swimming counters back issues that arise from riding and running.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/13/health/lower-back-pain-surgery-guidelines.html

One time, I had a major backache from loading the car before a camping vacation. We got to the camp site, I slept on an air mattress, and awoke in major pain. After spending the morning pretty much feeling sorry for myself, everyone went kayaking, and I limped over to observe. Eventually, I decided to get in a kayak and paddle around a little bit. Guess what: kayaking warmed up the muscles in my back such that the pain reduced considerably. After that, I did it each morning and was pain free in a few days. (Your mileage may vary.)
  • stephenmrees
    stephenmrees Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks for all your suggestions duly noted.