Just starting and would like help

Options
Hi everyone! I've been logging all my food for about 3 weeks now and want to check to make sure I'm doing the right things. I run 3 times a week (C25K) and do weights 2-3 times a week. I log the running but not the weights. I've just got a fitbit so that logged my running yesterday (and I didn't log it again on MFP). I understand that the fitbit isn't going to understand weights, is that right?

MFP set my calorie limit to 1270 and I try to hit around there each day. I eat back most of my running calories. I've open my diary so you can see what I eat.

I'm female, 44 years old, 5'4" tall and weight 12 st 1 lb.

Am I doing this right? Is there anything more I could do?

Also, I want to start 30 day shred (again!). Will the fitbit record this or should I log it?

Thank you!

Replies

• Kegsey55
    Kegsey55 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    anyone? :flowerforyou:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about how exactly the Fitbit works. If you don't happen to get answer, I'd advise using the Search function (above) and see what you can find. It may also matter what model of Fitbit you have.

As far as your calories go... First of all, make sure your weekly weight loss goal isn't set any higher than 1 pound per week. With the amount of weight you have to lose, anything more is too agressive and you won't be given enough daily calories.

While it's true that HRMs and the like aren't very accurate with weight training, you're still burning calories and need to make sure you're fueling your body right. Maybe see what MFP gives you for strength training and just log half?

In my experience, the listing under exercise for circuit training-general is quite acccurate for calorie count when doing 30DS. I've compared it to what my Polar HRM gives me and it's pretty close. I know quite a few other people use this listing too. You could always use your Fitbit and see what it gives you in comparison.

P.S. Just looked back in your diary about a week. That calorie goal is something you should try to meet more often. Leaving 100 or more calories uneaten isn't going to be healthy in the long run. Assuming you don't have kidney issues, I'd also recommend working on meeting, if not exceeding your protein limits. This will help you retain muscle mass and help your muscles to recover after working out. Eggs, lean meats, nuts, seeds, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein bars/powder...even some grains (certain brands of steel cut oats, quinoa) can provide a nice amount of protein. Protein also helps keep you full.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Hi Kegsey! Our stats are similar, but I'm older and a LITTLE heavier. I'm doing C25K, have a Fitbit One and do bodypump most weeks. I leave adding the extra exercise calories to my Fitbit and don't worry about the (not all that many) extra from weights. I do usually eat my exercise calories back (except on fast days as I do the 5:2 diet as well)

I haven't tried 30 day shred, but I'd say "Trust Your Fitbit" - unless you do cycling or water exercise which you DO need to add via the Fitbit website.
  • Kegsey55
    Kegsey55 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Minnie! Hi Beattie! Thank you for your comments :smile:

My weight loss is set to 1lb (I had to check, I wasn't sure!). I'm still getting used to logging what I eat and keeping it to a certain level. I'm doing OK at keeping under but I'll try to get closer.

Thanks for the info about 30DS being similar to circuit training. I'll compare the results when I get back into it.

Thanks again!