Tattoo Shops In Thailand

MarvinsAMartian
MarvinsAMartian Posts: 236 Member
So this may be a weird place to post but what the heck.

I'm kicking off my SE Asia trip in Thailand next month and was wondering if anybody on here can recommend a good tattoo shop? I've used the Google machine but only a handful of places come up (maybe I'm doing it wrong). Out of the ones that I've seen, only a couple of them have recent reviews and the detail in said reviews leave something to be desired.

If there's a place someone can vouch for please let me know. I'm getting one (or five) regardless, but it would be nice to have a spot picked out before getting there.

Replies

• km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    lizery wrote: »
    I would recommend not getting tattooed in a 3rd - 2nd world/developing country with a poor record on infection control and high incidence of hepatitis b and c, but that's just me.

This.
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    lizery wrote: »
    I would recommend not getting tattooed in a 3rd - 2nd world/developing country with a poor record on infection control and high incidence of hepatitis b and c, but that's just me.

That
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    The infection, dude.
    Not worth it!!!
  • gcibsthom
    gcibsthom Posts: 30,115 Member
    I lived in Thailand for 5 years and probably the best and safest tattoo parlors are the ones there on Sukhumvit... those places are like bars they come and go all the time but usually you can find a couple of tattoo places that are run by western foreigners that are pretty good...more hygenic
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member

reminds me of the "bad idea jeans" commercial on snl, but i think the country was haiti. and it wasn't about tattoos. but still, bad idea jeans.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    If you are getting something small, you don't need a world famous artist. Also whether you go machine or traditional makes a difference in choices.

Here is a safe bet, as I recall they were run by foreigners
    https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/1023101299/common-ground-tattoo/?hl=en
  • MarvinsAMartian
    Theo166 wrote: »
    If you are getting something small, you don't need a world famous artist. Also whether you go machine or traditional makes a difference in choices.

Here is a safe bet, as I recall they were run by foreigners
    https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/1023101299/common-ground-tattoo/?hl=en

Awesome lead @Theo166 it looks like a great shop. I'm not looking at getting a traditional "Sak Yant" as apparently you need a real monk to do it or its not considered legit anyways.

My research suggests there are reputable shops all over the country and as Theo @gcibsthom have pointed out there are some owned/operated by non Thai's that may have higher hygiene standards. I work in a hospital and am required to stay up to date on my vaccinations which I am so I'm confidant I'm covered. Even still I'm not worried about this to be honest. .

What I don't get is the negative response to this. Is this all from personal experience or second hand knowledge? The reviews on the places I have found date as far back as 2009! Makes you wonder if they're even still around. So anything current someone can add would be helpful
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Regarding the negative f/b, i expect most posters have spent no time in Asia. Thailand is hardly 3rd world.

• MarvinsAMartian
    I didn't want to assume but you may be right. It's a developing country no doubt, but Bangkok is like any modern city, especially in the touristy areas.
  • MarvinsAMartian
    So just to follow up on this thread. I did end up getting a tattoo in Thailand. Cambodia as well actually. For everyone concerned with hygiene practices, the two places I went to were great. My skin is fine and not falling off so relax.

All Day Tattoo BKK (Bangkok, Thailand) - American/Italian owned. My appointment was on July 12th. Awesome vibe in the place, everyone was super friendly. I got my piece done by Eight, turned out well for my first tattoo. Everything prep wise is done out in the open in front of you. There's no shady *kitten* going on. I forget the owners name but he's a cool dude, really knows his stuff. Helped with placement and size as it was my first tattoo.

Ink Lab Tattoo (Siem Reap, Cambodia) - Aussie/Cambodian owned. My appointment was on July 24th. Bear was my artist. Glad I got him too because man is he meticulous. Again, everything was done out in the open for you to see so no worries. I was the only one in the studio at the time, was pretty laid back.

Both shops have a FB page. That's actually how I booked my appointments with them. They have reviews and I actually private messaged a couple people who reviewed them hoping they were real people and not shell accounts (yeah I'm a bit paranoid). All legit. I'll be adding my own reviews soon.

Neither were particularly cheap by North American standards so keep that in mind. I was cool with it however because the quality of work turned out well and for a little bit cheaper than in Canada where I'm frequently quoted 170/hr. Both my tattoos combined took about 4 hours and cost me $260 CAD.

Just thought I'd share here in case anyone was wondering.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Sweet, if I ever get a tattoo I'm going to Cambodia it looks like.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Try the Olive Garden there.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    The Tuol Sleng Olive Garden is awesome and you can get a bitchin' piercing done by European techs at Angkor Wat.