Does anyone HAVE to eat clean to lose the weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• balewis337
    balewis337 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If I don't log I don't lose, regardless of what I eat- but when I log food I find that what I thought might not be too bad calorie-wise is TERRIBLE and sometimes I get the serving size wrong (what seems like it could only be one is actually three...)

I lost 10 pounds easily by logging, went to Paris, eat a lot, got lazy with logging, gained it all back. Now losing again just by being diligent about the logging...which does make me eat cleaner as a result.

Pizza is my favorite - but I tend to make it myself most days using stuff I can log. And not every day, though I'd love to eat it every day. :-D
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Weighing may seem like a hassle but it really is easy. You have to put your food on a plate or in a bowl, correct? Why not put it on the plate or bowl that is sitting on the scale? Put the plate on the scale and hit "start". Spoon your rice on it, note the weight, hit "tare". Spoon the stew on it, note the weight, and eat.
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm a big proponent of "clean" eating during the work week. So I make lunches, make dinners, eat breakfast every day and keep it pretty close to a Whole30 diet (with some limited dairy and complex grains thrown in).

This works very well for me. I lost thirty pounds in 2 months clean eating at Whole30 recommended portion sizes.

But it's a huge lifestyle change. My wife and I dedicate a lot of time in the kitchen -- but it's not grueling or difficult because we both love to cook. Many people don't.

Then we allow ourselves an eat-out on weekends for things like Indian Food, wine & beer, ribs, etc. -- the fun stuff.

That's worked for us!
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I eat anything I want and or crave in moderation ( using a food scale) and only watch my sodium intake to prevent high blood pressure. I've lost 18lbs so far since I started my weight loss journey Jan 2 this year. I also walk daily, counting steps. That's all I have been doing.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Hypsibius wrote: »
    I'm a big proponent of "clean" eating during the work week. So I make lunches, make dinners, eat breakfast every day and keep it pretty close to a Whole30 diet (with some limited dairy and complex grains thrown in).

This works very well for me. I lost thirty pounds in 2 months clean eating at Whole30 recommended portion sizes.

But it's a huge lifestyle change. My wife and I dedicate a lot of time in the kitchen -- but it's not grueling or difficult because we both love to cook. Many people don't.

Then we allow ourselves an eat-out on weekends for things like Indian Food, wine & beer, ribs, etc. -- the fun stuff.

That's worked for us!

The best advice I was given when I first started out was: "You are NOT making a major change in your life, you are making a series of small changes". That really helped me to realize that each small change added up to where my live was totally different.
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    "HAVE to eat clean to lose the weight?"

Hell no... I didn't when I was losing and I don't now that I'm in maintenance.

Severely reduced sodium due to BP issues which is a separate thing entirely.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Weighing may seem like a hassle but it really is easy. You have to put your food on a plate or in a bowl, correct? Why not put it on the plate or bowl that is sitting on the scale? Put the plate on the scale and hit "start". Spoon your rice on it, note the weight, hit "tare". Spoon the stew on it, note the weight, and eat.

You don't have to...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

That's worked for us!

first of all congrats,but if you lost that much weight on whole 30 its because you had a big deficit of calories(and 15lbs a month is too aggressive even for someone obese,which Im not saying you are/were).their portion sizes for most are less than they should be. when you cut out higher calorie foods like breads,grains and so on then your calories will be lower of course. any way of eating is a lifestyle change
  • Hypsibius
    edited May 2017
    Options

That's worked for us!

first of all congrats,but if you lost that much weight on whole 30 its because you had a big deficit of calories(and 15lbs a month is too aggressive even for someone obese,which Im not saying you are/were).their portion sizes for most are less than they should be. when you cut out higher calorie foods like breads,grains and so on then your calories will be lower of course. any way of eating is a lifestyle change

Good points. Though I have to wonder how much of that was water weight. When I switched to clean eating the scale dropped almost instantly from 230s down to 220s (like within a couple weeks 12 pounds were gone -- I am 6'1). Then I started losing closer to 2-3 pounds per week. Size-able dinner portions and a lot of exercise...

Possible I am still not getting enough daily calories?

Edit: I'm currently weighing it at 190lbs (6'1)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

That's worked for us!

Good points. Though I have to wonder how much of that was water weight. When I switched to clean eating the scale dropped almost instantly from 230s down to 220s (like within a couple weeks 12 pounds were gone -- I am 6'1). Then I started losing closer to 2-3 pounds per week. Size-able dinner portions and a lot of exercise...

its possible you need more calories. how much more weight do you need to lose? if you went from higher calorie foods to eating lower calorie foods then that would in most cases create a deficit as well. when you exercise are you eating some of your calories burned back?
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    viglet wrote: »
    Weighing food may come with a learning curve, but personally I don't find it stressful or complicated. I have a small dry erase board in my kitchen, attached to the side of the fridge by magnets. I make notes as I'm cooking sometimes, such as the weight of food that goes on my plate. Or the weights of items that go into a recipe. I tend to prelog, so this way I can go back later and adjust the actual weights.

If you've been at this 18 days, it could be a matter of you are losing weight but water weight is masking the results. Such as you could now be retaining water due to TOM/hormones/ovulation. It won't hurt to improve accuracy, and get comfortable with a food scale, but tracking for a few more weeks might give a better picture of what is happening.

Well I already weigh all my cheese and most of my meat. So it won't be that bad, just a hassle. I felt like I could trust my eyeballing but clearly not the case.

I'm just feeling very emotional about the whole thing because I really feel like I have been trying. I am always surrounded by junk food and yummy stuff... and I have turned down so much of it. I am trying to stay active. I am drinking water. I really felt like I was working so hard and it is just such a sad sad bummer when you come to the realization you aren't working hard enough. Even if this is what worked for me the first time.

Like we say in the business world, "work smarter not harder". Use the proper tools like a food scale and fitness tracker, set a
    realistic deficit based on how much you have to lose, don't label food good or bad, eat what you enjoy in quantities that fit your calorie goal and learn to enjoy the process.

The bolded is very important. I find logging to be easier with a food scale than measuring cups. As an example last night I had chicken nachos, put plate on scale turn scale on add chips zero scale, beans and zero scale, chicken and zero scale, and cheese sauce and zero scale, add lettuce and zero scale. If I had to use measuring cups it would have taken longer and I have would have had less control of portion. It's easier for me to add food to my plate weigh it, zero it, and write it down than it is to decide what size cup might be enough and it's fewer dishes.
  • Hypsibius
    edited May 2017
    Options

That's worked for us!

its possible you need more calories. how much more weight do you need to lose? if you went from higher calorie foods to eating lower calorie foods then that would in most cases create a deficit as well. when you exercise are you eating some of your calories burned back?

So I do track my food pretty carefully (but not using MFP as much anymore). I keep a spreadsheet. Moderately-sized portions:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1z2gneedglzhgy/Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 3.57.26 PM.png?dl=0[

Diet for the last couple months especially has been about this. High-protein breakfast, chicken cucumber salad for lunch, and varied dinners, occasional big weekend dinner.

My goal weight is 180lbs and I'm at 194.

• DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    viglet wrote: »
    Weighing food may come with a learning curve, but personally I don't find it stressful or complicated. I have a small dry erase board in my kitchen, attached to the side of the fridge by magnets. I make notes as I'm cooking sometimes, such as the weight of food that goes on my plate. Or the weights of items that go into a recipe. I tend to prelog, so this way I can go back later and adjust the actual weights.

If you've been at this 18 days, it could be a matter of you are losing weight but water weight is masking the results. Such as you could now be retaining water due to TOM/hormones/ovulation. It won't hurt to improve accuracy, and get comfortable with a food scale, but tracking for a few more weeks might give a better picture of what is happening.

Well I already weigh all my cheese and most of my meat. So it won't be that bad, just a hassle. I felt like I could trust my eyeballing but clearly not the case.

I'm just feeling very emotional about the whole thing because I really feel like I have been trying. I am always surrounded by junk food and yummy stuff... and I have turned down so much of it. I am trying to stay active. I am drinking water. I really felt like I was working so hard and it is just such a sad sad bummer when you come to the realization you aren't working hard enough. Even if this is what worked for me the first time.

Like we say in the business world, "work smarter not harder". Use the proper tools like a food scale and fitness tracker, set a
    realistic deficit based on how much you have to lose, don't label food good or bad, eat what you enjoy in quantities that fit your calorie goal and learn to enjoy the process.

The bolded is very important. I find logging to be easier with a food scale than measuring cups. As an example last night I had chicken nachos, put plate on scale turn scale on add chips zero scale, beans and zero scale, chicken and zero scale, and cheese sauce and zero scale, add lettuce and zero scale. If I had to use measuring cups it would have taken longer and I have would have had less control of portion. It's easier for me to add food to my plate weigh it, zero it, and write it down than it is to decide what size cup might be enough and it's fewer dishes.

This is my favorite part
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

You don't have to...

Well, if you're eating straight out of the container... weigh it, eat what you want, weigh it again and subtract the difference! ;)

OP, it sounds like you just need to tighten up your logging for both the calories in and calories out side of things. Your tracker could easily be overestimating your burns too and even though you're not consciously eating back those calories, if you're being less than accurate in what you're logging you may also be subconsciously allowing yourself to eat slightly more because you worked out and therefore "deserve" it.

You know that the math works, you've already seen it in action. I think you just need to be a little more thorough for these last few pounds. Good luck! :)

P.S. I want chicken that was raised on grass fertilised with unicorn farts now. Just to see if it tastes any different. Y'know, for science.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Cortybort wrote: »
    well, refined sugar is not essential, but it's not a death sentence to have some for the most part.

A lot of things are not essential..
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

You don't have to...

Well, if you're eating straight out of the container... weigh it, eat what you want, weigh it again and subtract the difference! ;)

OP, it sounds like you just need to tighten up your logging for both the calories in and calories out side of things. Your tracker could easily be overestimating your burns too and even though you're not consciously eating back those calories, if you're being less than accurate in what you're logging you may also be subconsciously allowing yourself to eat slightly more because you worked out and therefore "deserve" it.

You know that the math works, you've already seen it in action. I think you just need to be a little more thorough for these last few pounds. Good luck! :)

P.S. I want chicken that was raised on grass fertilised with unicorn farts now. Just to see if it tastes any different. Y'know, for science.

I want a t-rex steak, they need to get on top of the dinosaur cloning thing. I bet that chicken would taste like chicken.