Exercise after hernia repair

Options
Hi, I got my hernia repaired after my third child it ended up being four hernia repairs at one time. It was an open hernia surgery and the incision is about 10 inches long. I'm also obese. I used to be very active but during my last pregnancy I was put on bed rest and now it's about four months after my hernia repair and I finally got the go ahead from my doctor to exercise. So whenever I do anything like planks or sit ups it makes my abs hurt in some spots. My doctor is far away and he does not listen when I say something does not feel right. I don't know if this is normal or if it's something that I need to be worried about I'm really worried about hurting myself again. I really didn't like having to go to the recovery of the surgery it was not very fun LOL if anybody has some insight or anything I can do please let me know thank you. I'd really like to get back at it!

Replies

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    If it hurts then stop the planks and sit ups for now. I'm 7 months post op and have only added them in in the last couple of months.

Start with something far gentler, what do crunches feel like? I started by literally only lifting my head up off the floor then steadily increased range of motion.

You could also try hip bridges and I don't know what they're called but you lay on your back knees bent feet on floor and then slowly rotate your knees down to floor on each side.

I found legs raises didn't pull much either, but other than that I started building core strength by doing compound lifts, with the caveat that if it hurt then I stopped.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    The advice I got after my double-hernia repair (mesh, inguinal, orthroscopic) was "if it hurts, stop."

I was weight lifting lightly six days post-op, and resumed full-on training in two weeks. Your mileage may vary, wildly.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I had a laparoscopic gallbladder removal 13 years ago, and it took me at least 5 years before the incision sites wouldn't spasm painfully when I bent over the wrong way. There's plenty of stuff you can do to lose weight that won't stress that incision.
  • xleporedx44
    xleporedx44 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • johnw83
    johnw83 Posts: 6,219 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain I have a hernia atm going on 3 months now need an op to fix it
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Don't do these exercises until you are specifically assessed and cleared for this type of exercise by

1) a physiotherapist
    2) another surgeon if the physiotherapist thinks it's warranted