Any women with diastasis recti who strength train?

Options
krael65
krael65 Posts: 306 Member
Hi. I've never been diagnosed, but the more I read I suspect I may have diastasis recti. I'm 10 years postpartum. Had twins @ 42, and gained 60 lbs during pregnancy. I'm only 5'2, so my belly was HUGE.

Post pregnancy, no matter how thin I get, I always look about 4 months pregnant. (Got this little round belly poking out). I look decent in clothes, but I look like a snake that ate a possum in a bathing suit.

I currently maintain at 114. I started lifting again several weeks ago, and intended to start stronglifts 5x5. I love the overall results I'm seeing....except my belly seems to be sticking out more.

I have an appt with my doctor in 2 weeks to get an assessment. It could be the muscle pushing out the excess skin and remaining fat...but I want to make sure.

I hate to have to give up strength training. Is it possible to lift safely with diastsis recti?

Replies

• krael65
    Options
    Anyone with experience or knowledge on this?
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Are you experiencing urinary incontinence as well? I have moderate diastasis.It broke my heart, but I have given up lifting for a bit to rehab my core and my pelvic floor. Lifting made things worse for me. My gap widened and the incontinence I was experiencing increased. See what your doc has to say. I would ask for a pelvic floor assessment too. Also make sure your care giver checks the upper and lower abs as well.
  • krael65
    Options
    Thankfully, no incontinence. I'm sorry you're going through that. It is heartbreaking to have to take a break! I hope your healing goes well.

Thank you for the advice. I'll be sure and ask about those assessments.