Foods on the road or trail

Options
Hi all what foods do you generally take with you when your on the road or the trail for a long period of time without a fridge. I will be travelling/living in a van and spending most days hiking and want to stick to my 1200 calorie diet. Open to suggestions that will keep me full and energised :)

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I usually take fruit (fresh and dried), nuts, beef jerky, trail mix and protein bars with me when I have long days of hiking. If you are going to be doing long and strenuous hikes, I would definitely not recommend trying to stick to 1200 calories. You will need energy for hiking and you can put yourself in a dangerous situation if you are not properly fueled.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Your body needs to fuel to hike.
  • katrina6823
    katrina6823 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I usually take fruit (fresh and dried), nuts, beef jerky, trail mix and protein bars with me when I have long days of hiking. If you are going to be doing long and strenuous hikes, I would definitely not recommend trying to stick to 1200 calories. You will need energy for hiking and you can put yourself in a dangerous situation if you are not properly fueled.

Oh I know I'll definitely go over my calorie budget on big hike days. I get light headed and the shakes if I don't eat enough. I just put my Normal calories in there so people know I'm trying to lose weight at the same time. Thanks for the suggestion tho :) I'm trying to find some 'real' food options for dinners and stuff as I can't live on snack foods for that long period of time
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    In that case, what will you have access to? Will you have a cooler? grill? portable stove? dishes and utensils? Will you be eating your meals from your van or will you be carrying them with you on your hikes? How long will you be travelling and how often will you be able to stop by a store?
  • GottaluvFood
    GottaluvFood Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Also, are all your hikes day-hikes? No backpacking? Will wait for answers...

• katrina6823
    Options
    In that case, what will you have access to? Will you have a cooler? grill? portable stove? dishes and utensils? Will you be eating your meals from your van or will you be carrying them with you on your hikes? How long will you be travelling and how often will you be able to stop by a store?

So many questions
  • katrina6823
    Options

praykathy wrote: »
    Also, are all your hikes day-hikes? No backpacking? Will wait for answers...

More than likely day hikes but they are still Yet to be determined :)
  • katrina6823
    Options

Sooo I did write a response to all those questions but they didn't show :/ will try again!

We have a one burner trangere however you spell it. Minimum dishes like 1 pot/pan kinda thing. No cooler. Both van and trail mostly van for breakfast/dinner depending on hike. Max 2.5weeks. And unsure on stores as unsure on route as of yet but I'd say every few days :)
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Pasta is great for cooking on one burner, throw in some tinned tuna and a tomato sauce from jar/can. Rice is good too as is cous cous . You could try other tinned meat/fish and eggs as they won't need a cooler. UHT milk can keep without a cooler when open for a day or two so you could bump up calories with some milk based drinks/ smoothies. In the UK you can get soy based desserts that don't need refrigeration but would allow you some treats, enjoy your trip sounds like it's going to be fun :)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Fruit, lots of bananas, apples, oranges
  • katrina6823
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses!!!! Some great ideas and I guess I'll just take it 1-2 days at a time and hope for the best
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Tins of beans and lentils are great to take on trips like this! Easily turned into a meal and give you lots of energy and fibre
  • katrina6823
    Options
    litoria wrote: »
    Tins of beans and lentils are great to take on trips like this! Easily turned into a meal and give you lots of energy and fibre

I always forget about the beans! Haha thanks for the reminder