Why Aren't I Losing Weight?

Options
A person's weight can fluctuate throughout the week and even throughout the day.

For me, it seems like no matter how great I am at keeping my calories low and exercising everyday, my weight stays between 194 pounds and 199 pounds.

Granted, I'm not burning a huge amount of calories everyday, but I do walk/dance for at least 30 minutes and often closer to an hour every day. That burns a couple hundred. Plus, I'm breastfeeding, which burns 20 calories per ounce that I produce, which is about 130 calories burned per nursing session. On top of that, I'm keeping my calorie intake below or at my daily limit... but nothing is changing.

Is this a health issue or do I just need to push myself harder? Why haven't I seen changes?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your food?
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    kHanson95 wrote: »
    A person's weight can fluctuate throughout the week and even throughout the day.

For me, it seems like no matter how great I am at keeping my calories low and exercising everyday, my weight stays between 194 pounds and 199 pounds.

Granted, I'm not burning a huge amount of calories everyday, but I do walk/dance for at least 30 minutes and often closer to an hour every day. That burns a couple hundred. Plus, I'm breastfeeding, which burns 20 calories per ounce that I produce, which is about 130 calories burned per nursing session. On top of that, I'm keeping my calorie intake below or at my daily limit... but nothing is changing.

Is this a health issue or do I just need to push myself harder? Why haven't I seen changes?

How long has this been going on? If you're truly having difficulties and are sure your calculations are correct, I would seek medical help (especially if you've been feeling unwell in addition). I had a similar situation where I wasn't losing for a month despite calorie deficit and exercise. In fact, I was actually gaining. Turns out my sudden gain and inability to lose was masked by a 14 pound blockage in my intestines that had to be surgically removed. I suggest a doctor visit. Good luck to you!
  • mohamedahmed07
    mohamedahmed07 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    kHanson95 wrote: »

Reason could be

1-You don't measure/calculate your food and calories right
    2-You have been dieting for so long (over 4months) and haven't yet taken a break from dieting and your metabolism has slowed down
    3-Maybe you're reducing calories based on your Old weight not your current one

If none of the above is true, then reduce carbs or go see a doctor because something is wrong with your hormones.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    How long since you gave birth? If its been under 8-12 weeks, your hormones/etc. could still be all over the place and that impacts water weight. Which can make it hard to see results on the scale.

How long have you been eating at a deficit? What is your daily calorie goal? How are you logging? Using a food scale? Estimating portions? Can you open your diary?
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If there isn't a medical reason, then I think you're eating enough calories to maintain your current weight. Perhaps you might want to try dropping your daily calories by 100 to 200 for a week or two and see if that starts you losing weight.
  • orionaimee
    orionaimee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Please be careful and work with your doctor or a lactation consultant when considering reducing calories while nursing.