Can I eat 2000 calories today and still have a decent deficit?

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Can I safely eat 2000 calories today and still have a decent deficit? I'm 5'4" 180lbs did 60 mins on stationary bike, 7 on treadmill, 7 mins stairs/stairmaster, 7mins elliptical, 3-5 minutes on rowing machine (dont recall) 20-30mins including short breaks of strength training plus by the end of the day I will have gone for a 2-3mile walk. When I was 10lbs heavier I walked about 5miles a day and burn 2300-2500 per day based on how quickly I lost weight but I dont know how the other types of exercise will work. I haven't been to the gym in a while. Do you think I'll still lose weight if I eat around 2000?

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    If you burned the needed calories, then of course. I'm 5'3", 113 pounds, and I still lose weight on 2000 calories.
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    If you burned the needed calories, then of course. I'm 5'3", 113 pounds, and I still lose weight on 2000 calories.

But how much do you exercise usually? I dont know how gym workouts will have me burning calories but I seem to burn about 400 per hr walking now (based on how it's affected my weight loss). Thank you for the input though. :)
  • Maxematics
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

But how much do you exercise usually? I dont know how gym workouts will have me burning calories but I seem to burn about 400 per hr walking now (based on how it's affected my weight loss).

I do around 45 minutes to an hour of exercise every morning and walk a lot. On average I walk 15 to 20K steps per day and walk a bit over 4mph.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    As long as you're burning more than 2,000 per day you'll lose weight. It doesn't matter how you burn those calories, only that you burn them. You'll know for sure once you start working out and see if you're losing weight, remaining the same, or gaining.

My understanding is rowing machines burn the most calories.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Question, are you wanting to eat 2000 every day, or just TODAY? Because if it's just for today you're worried about, I say go for it. Even if you didn't burn all 2000 today, one day is nothing.

Long term, when I work (nursing in family practice clinic), walk, and workout, I can easily get away with 2000 and lose. If I take one of those out of the equation, I have to shave some calories.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I eat more than 2000 calories a day and I am loosing. I run 35 miles a week, do yoga once a week, and strength train 2x a week. I burn a lot of calories with exercise.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    No one has actually answered the q lol but thanks for the input. I already know if I burn more than I eat I lose. That's basics. I was looking for an estimate of what I'd burn today and if it was over 2000calories. And it does matter if it's one day because I want to maintain a deficit and I already took a week off.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

But how much do you exercise usually? I dont know how gym workouts will have me burning calories but I seem to burn about 400 per hr walking now (based on how it's affected my weight loss).

I do around 45 minutes to an hour of exercise every morning and walk a lot. On average I walk 15 to 20K steps per day and walk a bit over 4mph.

4mph seems like running pace. You walk fast!
  • GoldBikiniGoals
    GoldBikiniGoals Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    No one has actually answered the q lol but thanks for the input. I already know if I burn more than I eat I lose. That's basics. I was looking for an estimate of what I'd burn today and if it was over 2000calories. And it does matter if it's one day because I want to maintain a deficit and I already took a week off.

You could log your exercises in MFP and it would give you a rough idea. We really can't tell you what you burnt. We have no idea how fast you were going on the treadmill, what your resistance was on the rowing machine etc.

I think we're all also unsure if you're asking if your TDEE is over 2000 calories or if you mean that you burnt 2000 calories from your exercise. If it's the latter, no.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Guessing age 25 with those stats into scooby (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) , I get a TDEE of 1938. I think it's fair to assume that you burned more than 62 calories doing your exercise, so I would say that yes, with activity like that, you can eat 2000 calories and still loose and a reasonable rate.
  • Maxematics
    Options

4mph seems like running pace. You walk fast!

I'm from NYC. Anything slower than 3.8mph feels like a crawl. Jogging/running pace for me is more like 6mph.

Anyway OP, sorry I misunderstood your initial question. I thought you were in disbelief at the possibility of being able to eat 2000 calories and lose weight based on what you did at the gym. As someone else stated, it's difficult to determine what you've burned at the gym as there are so many variables to consider.
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options

You could log your exercises in MFP and it would give you a rough idea. We really can't tell you what you burnt. We have no idea how fast you were going on the treadmill, what your resistance was on the rowing machine etc.

I think we're all also unsure if you're asking if your TDEE is over 2000 calories or if you mean that you burnt 2000 calories from your exercise. If it's the latter, no.

No, total. Thanks again. I am so tired I forgot all about resistance. I guess I'd assume light effort because I'd rather underestimate than over? I thought mfp was way off because it always was for me. It says I burned 800-900
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Guessing age 25 with those stats into scooby (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) , I get a TDEE of 1938. I think it's fair to assume that you burned more than 62 calories doing your exercise, so I would say that yes, with activity like that, you can eat 2000 calories and still loose and a reasonable rate.

Thank you very much! Also, good estimating! I'm 27. Lol.